Sunday, 26 April 2015

Hour well past - surprise naps and creaky houses

Well! That's that then.

Another readathon finished, another bookpile toppled, another belly really very confused by questionable snack choices and over-caffeination. I think this readathon may have been my best (hours awake) and worst (pages read). I had so, so much fun doing it. It turns out not stressing about page numbers is the key: helps with not panicking when the people and animals you live with vie for your attention.


Not an appropriate response

Also, posting more to social media and less to here during the actual hours was a good call, for me. Will do that again in the future. To the meme!

1) Which hour was most daunting for you? Hour 24, when I took an accidental nap after my on-purpose nap during hour 23. That or hour 21, when I was still reading Stephen King even though everyone had gone to bed.



2) Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? Dark Places by Gillian Flynn was keeping me turning the pages, even though I didn't finish it. Oh, Locke & Key, get Locke & Key, but make sure you have all the volumes, because I finished Volume 4 without having Volume 5 on hand and panicked.

3) Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? I had a supremely excellent time, but I'd suggest, if another readathon readalong is to be held, posting when any readalongish activities are going to take place before the readathon actually starts, if at all possible.

4) What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? I loved how encouraging all the hosts were about participating at any level and on any platform that suits you.

5) How many books did you read? 1.5 novels, 1 audiobook, 1 comic, and 3 short stories, which added up to 553 pages and about 3 hours of audiobooking. 

6) What were the names of the books you read? 

  • Heartburn by Nora Ephron
  • Half of Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
  • "I Am the Doorway" and "The Mangler" from Night Shift by Stephen King
  • "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
  • Locke & Key, Vol. 4 by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Vol. 1 by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (audiobook) ("The Adventure of the Empty House," "The Adventure of the Devil's Foot," and "The Adventure of the Abbey Grange")

7) Which book did you enjoy most? "The Yellow Wallpaper" is forever and always my favourite short story, but I think I enjoyed Locke & Key most.

8) Which did you enjoy least? Nora and I had some words about Heartburn. DANG-IT, NORA.

9) If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? I was a reader because I am selfish and also grateful. Thank you, cheerleaders! Your presence on blog posts as well as social media is so, so appreciated.

10) How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? 100% likely. Probably still a reader because I am a bum but THANK YOU, selfless cheerleaders who are unfailingly wonderful!

At the risk of making this post ridiculously long, here are the things I did while I wasn't here:





And now for my second favourite part of the readathon: the day after. (Wherein leftover snacks and leftover books are consumed with relish.) Thank you, organizers, for an excellent weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the excellent readathoning! I can't wait for my studies to finish finally so I can take part in one of the full 24 hour ones. Although, I'm well and truly turning into an old, so it'll probably most be snacks, reads and many long, long naps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahahaha big dumb dummy.

    As always, impressed by your dedication to reading longer than four hours. Which is pretty much the most I can do. And by 'reading' I still mean taking tons of breaks and watching old 30 Rock episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time I see someone talk about Locke & Key I get so excited and happy. I love Locke & Key with the heat of a nova. Finishing volume four without volume five on hand would be HELL.

    Congratulations on a 'thon well done!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, internets.