Saturday, 25 April 2015

Hour 8 - shock and strawberries

It's been 8 hours already. How.

So far, I've listened to about 40 minutes of my audiobook (while making breakfast) and read Heartburn by Nora Ephron (178 pages). 

Heartburn was so great and then, suddenly, there was a rash of homophobic slurs that really did not feel lighthearted or jokey or inclusive in any kind of way that would convince the reader to even remotely forgive their use. I mean, I'd hope it's pretty well understood you can't use terms like that unless it's a term that's weaponized against you, personally, and even then not in a derogatory attitude, but ... I really don't know. I'm trying to find a way to rationalize this because Nora Ephron! but I'm really just confused and disappointed. I don't know what to do with these feelings. I'm in a reading and shock induced haze, is what's happening. 


I mean, justifiably, but still true.

Hey, look at these updates I updated while I wasn't here!




Now, do I coffee and actually read Dark Places or do I coffee and audiobook and make chocolate chip cookies? Best read a bit of Dark Places first -- wouldn't want to lie on Instagram.

How are you all holding up? 

9 comments:

  1. I really like your pics - they are beautiful! And they are making me hungry :)

    Isn't it a shame when a book you'd love otherwise includes slurs or any of those awful -isms? I'm sorry Heartburn wasn't a good book for you, and hope Gillian Flynn remedies that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gillian Flynn! Nice choice for the read-a-thon. This is the only book that I haven't read by her yet and I'm looking forward to reading it at some point soon. Sorry to hear about your reading experience with the Ephron book. That would have made me stop reading to be honest. I hope that you are having lots of fun. Keep up the great work and happy reading!

    #TeamSherlock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was her last unread one for me, too. I hope you like it when you pick it up!

      Delete
  3. But it's like, old old school Nora Ephron, right? Like in the '80s or something? That doesn't totally forgive it, but also people didn't really know. Remember that scene in Teen Wolf that gets referenced all the time (note: I have never seen Teen Wolf, but I watch many documentaries about gayness) where Michael J. Fox's friend is like "What, are you gonna tell me you're a fag?" and MJF is like "Haha nooo, nothing like that; I'm just a werewolf."

    CULTURAL CHANGE ETC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [Carrie Fisher voice from WHEN HARRY MET SALLY] You're right. You're right; I know you're right.

      It's from 1983, so yes, very true. But, just, is it too much to ask for people I like to be perfect all the time? IS IT? (Also I know the scene you're talking about, though I haven't seen Teen Wolf either. [ALSO ALSO have you seen THE CELLULOID CLOSET?? It's wonderful and I think it's on YouTube.])

      Delete
    2. I HAVE LIKE FOUR TIMES AND I LOVE IT SO MUCH LET'S GET TOGETHER AND WATCH IT

      Delete
  4. Lying on Instagram is the worst! ;) That Nora Ephron book sounds really bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't have that!

      Like Reading Rambo says above, it's definitely a product of its time. Still super disappointing.

      Delete

Talk to me, internets.