Monday, 7 July 2014

How to Build a Girl, Introduction: Did everyone get a name tag?

This is officially one of the most exciting things I've done on the internet. Are you ready? Get ready, because it's exciting:

The intrepid Emily over at As the Crow Flies (and Reads!) is hosting a pre-publication readalong of Caitlin Moran's upcoming novel, How to Build a Girl. Emily is living every English major's dream, a dream exacerbated by You've Got Mail


Oh, Shop Around the Corner.
*"You'll Be in my Heart" plays softly in the distance*

and selling books at the Odyssey Bookshop. I hope you twirl in there on the daily, Em. Anywhat, with the book selling comes super fancy perks like being able to host a readalong for a book that ISN'T EVEN OUT YET. YEAH. (I know reading ARCs is old hat for a lot of you, but for me this is, like, a brand new hat. A still in the box, new-hat-smell smelling hat.) Because Emily is amazing, she's hooking us up with advanced copies of How to Build a Girl and bringing us together to read in tandem. 



This week is the introductory post, and next week we'll start readalonging in earnest. To that end, hello! I'm Kayleigh. I'm a copy editor living in northeastern British Columbia and I have a lot of feelings about the Oxford comma, Harry Potter, and BBC's Sherlock. It's likely that all of these things will make an appearance during the course of this readalong.

Caitlin Moran, by the by, is also a Sherlock fan.


SEGUE

She wrote about the life-ruining masterpiece of a show in the only book of hers I've read so far: Moranthology, a collection of articles she's written over the years. I loved Moranthology and followed her on Twitter because of it, which is how I learned that Louise Brealey (who plays Molly Hooper


ily, series 3 Molly

in Sherlock) will be reading the audiobook version of How to Build a Girl. IT'S ALL COMING TOGETHER. All this to say, I find Moran hilarious and am really looking forward to seeing how her humour translates to fiction.

To those of you I've known for a while: hello and I've missed you and please allow me to kiss your noses. 

To those of you who are new: hello and let me know if I can get you anything and we'll work up to the nose kissing thing.

17 comments:

  1. YOU REFERENCED A DISNEY'S TARZAN SONG (i think) LET'S HANG OUT AND EAT COOKIES

    *allows nose to be kissed*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YER DAMN RIGHT I DID. It sums up the real and deep feelings I have about You've Got Mail. *hands you a cookie* *kisses your nose*

      Delete
  2. I do still think about that bookstore in You've Got Mail! Yeah, that's the dream. If I was ambitious and wanted to work, of course, but still.

    SO EXCITED FOR ALL THE CHATTING AND GIFS AND HINTED AT NOSE-KISSING. I missed readalonging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nose kissing is only going to get more overt as we progress, Sarah. You just WAIT.

      Delete
  3. I often twirl into work, thank you very much. But not *quite*daily.

    MOLLY FROM SHERLOCK READS THE AUDIOBOOK VERSION? I MUST PRE-ORDER THAT RIGHT NOW. IN BETWEEN TWIRLING SESSIONS, OF COURSE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW RIGHT IT'S THE BEST THING. I admire the crap out of Louise Brealey. She is so wonderful. (She is ALSO great on twitter, if you're on the twitter and so inclined.)

      You twirl, Emily. Twirl for all of us.

      Delete
    2. The audio version is not for sale in the US. At least not yet. So if I cannot find it at the whaty-hoozits in the UK with free shipping, I will have to bribe and cajole my way into one.

      Delete
  4. Your gif usage is excellent. And I maaaaay need to steal that "segue" gif.

    THIS IS GOING TO BE SO MUCH FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHY IS HE SO FANCY? AND WHERE ARE HIS PANTS?

      Oh, sweet mystery of life.

      Delete
  5. You've Got Mail! What is this 90s GIF perfection??

    *puts on nametag, kisses your nosies as well*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm slightly dying to re-watch that movie now.

      This readalong is going to be so great! Nose kisses all around.

      Delete
  6. So much nose kissing. I LOVE IT.

    Annnnd now I'm going to have to watch all the Nora Ephron movies. Not complaining :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I'm torn about whether I should start reading "how to build a girl" or watch "you've got mail" tonight. It is quite the pickle, but maybe I should just do both? Yes I will do both.

    I am so excited! And thank you for the nose kisses Canada me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Shop Around the Corner made me into a bookseller too. I'm not one any more but Kathleen Kelly was my role model as a teenager and I OPENED A BOOKSHOP. In a way, Kathleen Kelly helped build this girl. Which is a very long-winded way of saying that you get all the points for that GIF alone.

    The book's actually out here and I bought a copy yesterday and will be reading along with your readalong, because AWESOME. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know Moran liked Sherlock, but I can't say I'm surprised. She's awesome and the show is awesome, so they just go together :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I MISSED YOU SO MUCH. *can't sit still long enough for nose kisses*

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, internets.