Monday, 28 July 2014

How to Build a Girl, Ch 11-15: Speed round

Quickly, while it's still Monday!

Emily at As the Crowe Flies (and Reads!) is hosting this auspicious Moranalong, wherein we're reading Caitlin Moran's upcoming YA novel, How to Build a Girl. So far, people are generally fond. Pre-order the book from Emily, if ya like. Or from wherever. Or don't pre-order it. I'm not your mom. (Did I steal that joke from another readalonger? It's hard to tell sometimes, with the hive mind.)

There's no time for marking spoilers in speed-round blogging, so if you're worried about such things, maybe skip this post. 

This weeks reactions:

  • Johanna says things that I would have loved as a teenager but, reading now, make me think "Oh, honey. You are so young." The "always summer above the clouds" bit is what I'm thinking of.
  • So many Almost Famous feelings at the John Kite show.
  • First thought: Oh no, she's gonna bang John Kite. Then he was tripped up and concerned, seeing her cry during his songs, and I accidentally fell in love with him, too. Dangerous creatures, sweet guys with guitars.
  • It took two years for her secret to get out? Does that make sense? Maybe something else brought this about?
  • The taking-away-the-TV thing - did that happen in Moranthology, too? Seems familiar.
  • My note for pg 152-153: "I haaaate this." I don't blame the dad for asking Johanna to help him, here. Damn these shades of grey! I need an Umbridge in this novel.
  • And then, ah, lightening the mood, wanking to thoughts of medieval demons. Classic Johanna.
  • The drunk editorial meeting made me desperately uncomfortable.
  • pg 165/166 "Under the common teenage misapprehension that anyone is (a) observing and (b) gives any kind of fuck what I'm doing." Hello, lifelong delusion. 
  • Kite kissed her gently on the mouth, "[Johanna's] heart explodes like a swarm of bees," and I died (pg 170).
It couldn't be helped, this GIF.
  • Trouble next week to come in the form of bands responding poorly to Johanna's scathing reviews and also Rich's obscene mouth. 

I could wait, come up with a more thoughtful and coherent post, and post this on Tuesday ...



16 comments:

  1. Ah, we definitely need an Umbridge. This book is full of Snapes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just, yes. I cannot "Yes" enough with this comment.

      Delete
    2. Ach, I WISH this book were full of Snapes.

      Delete
    3. Hahahaha, Emily. You're the best.

      Delete
  2. "The drunk editorial meeting made me desperately uncomfortable."

    ME TOO. Why are none of the adults there more concerned about this 16-yr old girl attempting to get wasted in front of them? Not cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not cool even one bit! What the what? The adults are not good at adulting, in this book.

      Delete
    2. YES AND YES. But I keep thinking that the legal age is... what? 16 for beer in Britain? 18? I should Google this, but it's the only thing that even remotely makes sense.

      Delete
    3. I forgot about the legal drinking age being younger in Britain - good point. But then there are the caveats about legal premises and whatnot. Johanna's 16 at this point? 17?

      Delete
  3. "First thought: Oh no, she's gonna bang John Kite. Then he was tripped up and concerned, seeing her cry during his songs, and I accidentally fell in love with him, too. Dangerous creatures, sweet guys with guitars." ARE YOU IN MY BRAIN? Welcome, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice in here! *settles into a beanbag chair*

      Delete
  4. Yes. Sweet guys with guitars are, indeed, dangerous. I don't have a physical type AT ALL, but sweet guys with any kind of artistic bent? Musical, for preference? Lord help me.

    After the scene where Johanna wakes up in the bathtub, feeling all cozy in a cocoon, I loved John Kite, too. I was afraid for a while that he would turn into this scummy musician who's all about the easy lay, and what Johanna not even being kissed yet, it could have been trouble. But he's sweet and sad and the first kindred spirit she's ever met. If Anne and Gilbert had been edgy New Wave Midlanders, it might have been a bit like Johanna and John Kite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was on high alert during that drunk hotel scene. But yeah, he passed. Also pissed, but you can't have everything.

      I need to read Anne of Green Gables! So many references I don't get, in the world.

      Delete
  5. That editorial meeting was just the worst. So uncomfortable. For all involved!

    John Kite though...I'm practically crushing on him so I hope he doesn't turn out to be an ass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I worry. Don't let us down, Johnny boy.

      Delete
  6. This book would be SO MUCH EASIER if we had an Umbridge. Instead people have to be all nuanced and human and ugh.

    I'm worried about what next section and Johanna's "trouble" will bring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn these nuanced humans and their realism.

      Delete

Talk to me, internets.