Saturday, 11 January 2014

On a Winter's Day a Minithon

Though it be but little, it is fierce.

And then BOOM. It's minithon time again. 

9:00 am

Morning, bookternet! The unparalleled Tika is hosting the biannual minithon today: it's all the fun in one third the size. We'll be partaking in all the great reading-marathon activities: snacking, tweeting, taking pictures of our snacks, reading, snacking. Hashtag is #minithon and house words are "Just one more chapter."

TO THE BOOKPILE.


From the bottom:

The Walking Dead, Compendium One, words by Robert Kirkman, art by Tony More, Charlie Adlard, and Cliff Rathburn. Decidedly not mini in size, this is a collection of volumes 1-8. So, you know, the volumes themselves are mini-books, page-wise.

Saga, Volume 2, words by Brian K Vaughan, art by Fiona Stapes. Mini in size, again, though my excitement to read it is on the mega-side. Think I'll start with this.

Quidditch Through the Ages, by Kennilworthy Whisp with slight JK Rowling involvement. Harry Potter companion book!

Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them, by Newt Scamander and maybe JKR again a little bit. I just had a quick look through and couldn't find the crumple-horned snorkack but WHATEVER I guess I'll still read this. (I've finished the introduction already, so this book is even mini-er.)

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, by Robin Sloan. I'm currently reading this, so I had to include in the pile. Mini because it's in paperback. And because the text is smaller than the other books in my pile, on account of it's a novel.

Bit of a reach, that one.

Finally, I've got Revenge, by Yoko Ogawa on my e-reader because good actual crap, I started reading it in October, and it's teeny, and I need to finish it already. It works out, because it's a series of semi-linked short stories. Mini format with creepy overtones? Get in my face, Revenge.

Time for food! I'm starting with some mini doughnuts and coffee while some mini quiches are baking away. 




Pardon the crappy picture. There's no time to frame and crop and whatnot! There's READING to be done!

What are you all starting with?


1:05 pm

Time for the mid-thon check-in post.

Books Finished: Saga, Vol. 2 and Revenge
Snacks Consumed: Mini doughnuts, mini quiches. Currently baking some pepper poppers. (Anything called a "popper" has GOT to be mini.)
Blogs Visited: Tika at Reading the Bricks (obvs), Emily at As the Crowe Flies and Reads, Rayna at Libereading, Megs at The Terrible Desire, Alley at What Read Read, Alice at Reading Rambo, and Laura at Devouring Texts.
Happies Happinessed: All of them. All the happy.




5:03 pm

THAT'S IT. Well done, internet! And thank you so much, Tika, for hosting this. Thanks to all you wonderful nutbars for being so wonderful. 

I wound up finishing Saga, Vol. 2RevengeFantastic Beasts & Where to Find ThemThe Walking Dead, Vol 2.; and a couple chapters of Mr. Penumbra's, which is getting delightfully quippy. 

How'd your reading go? How'd your snacking go? I had some mini-Turtles and they were a revelation. I may eat nothing but them forever and ever amen.

What a brilliant way to spend a Saturday. Now to get a copy of Bleak House for our next great adventure. (Have you signed up yet? Because you should sign up.)

Saturday on, periwinkles.

24 comments:

  1. Jealous of your mini-potter-book. Also the donuts. TO THE READING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a Christmas present from my Neil! Such a wise man, he is.

      Delete
    2. The internet ate my wittily-worded comment.

      Suffice to say: YAY Harry Potter mini-books! and I hope my roommate will make his weekly doughnut run once he wakes up, because mini-doughnuts are what is missing from my table.

      Delete
    3. Did I spell Neil with a 1 instead of an l? This is a weird day.

      DAMN YOU, INTERNET. Luckily, all your comments are witty, even the replacement ones.

      I may have to return to the mini-doughnut cache. They came in a box of 40! 40, I say again!

      Delete
    4. What the heck, now it doesn't look like a 1. I may be losing it.

      Delete
  2. I used to have Walking Dead Compendium 1! Then I loaned it to someone (famous last words). But I did read it first, and it was glorious, obviously. SAGA 2! I loved the first one so much I read it twice back-to-back. Comics solidarity today, on this tiniest of days, sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAGA 4EVA! The second one was super excellent. Both need re-reading, for sure.

      Walking Freaking Dead, holy crap. I'm glad it keeps up the gloriousness!

      Delete
  3. Ooh, I loved Mr Penumbra. SOOO good, but it looks like the Australian cover doesn't glow in the dark, which is a real loss.

    I also loved Revenge--you're probably the first person I've seen to ever reference this book. Not sure why Yoko Ogawa isn't more widely read among bloggers.

    Those doughnuts look YUMMY. Also, yay for Cher and Clueless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't glow in the dark, sad face, but it is still Mr Penumbra's, happy face. Really liking it so far!

      I just finished Revenge! It was bananas. Or should I say, "kiwis"? Or should I say "human-hand carrots"?

      Delete
    2. Yes, you should definitely say human hand carrots. It goes better with the chicken fetus theme that Alley started earlier.

      Delete
  4. Mini doughnuts what whatttttt?! YUM. Also mini-Potters- inspired! Remember last year where we basically all read HP1 together and it was awesome and it started Harry Potter time and yaaaaay? (It was good. I remember it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so good, Laura, the mini-doughnuts. It's a problem.

      That was the perfect first minithon, hey? And that was the perfect readalong. I just. The emotions.

      Delete
  5. Yay for all your Potter books! And those mini donuts. NOM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. POTTER BOOKS! I'm thinking Fantastic Beasts will be in my face next.

      Delete
    2. Look at you finishing 2 books.

      Delete
  6. MINI DOUGHNUTS. Also, let us know how Mr Penumbra is. I keep wanting to read it and then forgetting.

    I have read precisely one chapter thus far. OFF THE INTERNETS UNTIL THE MIDWAY POST AT 2. (lies, but less internetting until then)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penumbra took me a bit to get into but now I'm liking it muchly.

      INTERNET COUNTS AS READING. (Right? Right.)

      Delete
    2. THIS READATHON IS THE BEST OF ALL READATHONS

      Delete
    3. And aww, 'Saturday on, periwinkles' is lovely and so is the minithon and so are yoooooou.

      Delete
  7. NOTHING IS HAPPIER THAN THAT GIF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flailing arms are a great emotional indicator.

      Delete
  8. WE ARE SHAKESPEARE QUOTE TWINS (in this thon, anywoot).

    I seriously need to have those donuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy crap, I didn't see that you were 'thonning! This is now the best minithon ever. MINI DOUGHNUTS FOR ALL.

      Delete

Talk to me, internets.