Sunday, 22 December 2013

The Traditioning

Oh, hai. You guys still here?

It's been a while! December is year-end-mega-deadline month at my work, so I haven't really been reading, you know, books (except for Fangirl, which I finished in two sittings this weekend). Fortunately, we have the ha-happiest time of the year to look forward to. I'm super, very much, really excited for Christmas. For the first time in six years, the mister and I have snow in December; 

Ooo, wintry.

and for the first time in ever, it'll be just me and him for Christmas. (Since we've been married, we've been alternating Christmases between families [as one does]. This year, on account of work, we're staying in Fort St. John.)

It's weird, though, not going home for Christmas. It means we're responsible for our own traditions. And so! An abbreviated round-up of some favourites from childhood and some new things we're adding.

My Mom and Dad sent us our own version of my favourite Christmas gift traditions:

The golden fridge (full of goooodies):



And the book of books (RIGHT?!):


Neil's Mom sent us some Christmas gifts that go back to Neil's childhood. (One's a peppermint pig. I'm calling it right now.)

I'll also be making her stuffing, her risotto (which we'll be having for breakfast on Christmas morning as per Neil who I'm just going to trust on this one) (tomatoey garlicness for breakfast! MADNESS), and her chocolate peanut butter bars. Oh you guys, the peanut butter bars. Just oh you guys, all three of these things. So yum. Very taste.

And new things: Neil got these reinbeers 



in a Secret Santa exchange and they are so fantastic I want to make them every year. Advent calenbeer?

Finally, most pertinently, why we're all here: I marked all the Christmas Day chapters in the Harry Potter books and I'm going to read them all on Christmas Day. 

Why yes, that is an original Australian Kayleigh wand.

Candy cane bookmarks, obvs. That's - 

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - "Chapter 12: The Mirror of Erised"
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - "Chapter 12: The Polyjuice Potion"
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - "Chapter 11: The Firebolt"
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - "Chapter 23: The Yule Ball"
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - "Chapter 23: Christmas on the Closed Ward"
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - "Chapter 16: A Very Frosty Christmas"
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - "Chapter 18: The Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore"

So, yikes, actually. I kind of want to read them in reverse order to end on a lighter note, but the frigging Mirror of Erised, so. Sad or no, Harry Potter is always a good time.

What about you? What holiday are you celebrating? What traditions are you eating and reading?

Happy all the holidays, sugar plums.

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like y'all will have a wonderful holiday! The reinbeers are amazing and I want to duplicate them in my own life and give them to someone I love.

    I myself am ten miles behind on the important Christmas tradition of making Christmas cookies, so I have to get on that today after I leave work but before my uncle gets into town and we all go out to dinner. Efficiency must be my watchword!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lady who gave those reinbeer to Neil definitely won Secret Santa. I don't know how anyone could not love that.

      Hope your cookies were delicious and your holiday was relaxing!

      Delete
  2. I love that you marked out all of the HP xmas chapters and THANK YOU for telling us what they are. Cos I may need to copy you and read those sections.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are ALSO doing a solo couple Christmas! *chest bump*

    I know we'll miss doing the family thing, but the prospect of having that day just for ourselves? Pretty great. I think we're making his dad's pumpkin rolls and my dad's party mix and going to see Wolf of Wall Street, but I LIKE this Harry Potter idea enormously. Maybe we'll all be reading the Christmas chapters simultaneously.

    I will not even ask about the golden fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your solo Christmas was wonderful! I will follow up with you re: this on social media of some sort because I'm super late on responding to these comments. I hope your foods were wonderful.

      Delete
  4. This Harry Potter Christmas chapter marking thing sounds just completely adorable.
    Also, I couldn't think of a better advent-y way to celebrate than with 24 days of delicious, delicious decorated beer. So kudos to both the new traditions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurray! Thanks! Not sure I'll ever be organized enough to decorate said beer in time for Advent, but hey. Christmas miracles, and whatnot.

      Delete
  5. Your traditions are all so brilliant! I want a golden fridge and book of books and reinbeers and to read HP! I've been wanting to start some Christmas traditions but we're always busy with our families so we have a cocktails and movie night on Christmas eve, they have to be Christmas themed but not too gooey, so last year we did Nightmare Before Christmas, Die Hard and the Xmas ep of It's Always Sunny.

    This year though we're going to be having Christmas with my aunt and nana here in canada, this'll be my first time meeting my aunt and my first time seeing my nana in like 20 years! Should be crazy fun.

    Have a brilliant Christmas Kayleigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I very much like your take on what Christmas movies to watch - that is great. We went with Neil's traditional Christmas Eve movie: Star Wars Episode IV.

      I hope your Canadian Christmas was good! I'm loving your travelling pictures!

      Delete
  6. Don't say golden fridge like it's a thing everyone knows about, Kayleigh. Not gonna sneak that one past us.

    Also awwwwwww Harry Potterness. That is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a thing everyone SHOULD know about, though. I'm pretty sure my Mom and Dad just made it up, because they are amazing.

      Delete
  7. Awwww I hope you guys had a great Christmas!!! And I LOVE the idea of reading all the HP Christmas chapters on Christmas... I should do that in the week leading up to Christmas next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT. That. You fixed it. Week leading up to Christmas would be so much better than Christmas Day.

      Delete
  8. Bookmarking all of the Christmas chapters in the entire HP series to read on Christmas Day? That, madam, is genius and I wish I'd thought of it! I wish I'd read this post a few days earlier, but I've not read any blogs in practically ALL of December. I've missed you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've missed you toooo! And I sympathize so hard, good gracious. December is crazy as a grown up.

      I was so excited to revisit the Harry Potter Christmases, but it was tricky reading them on Christmas Day. I wound up rushing through them, because I was so excited to get to the books I'd received as gifts (book world problems). But Sarah, up there, solved it: read all the chapters in the week leading up to Christmas! Genius. This is why I love you guys so.

      Delete

Talk to me, internets.