Wednesday, 9 October 2013

Get ready for snack pictures


Books books books books books books! (Please read to the tune of Ani DiFranco's Up up up up up up. [Also, "Half of learning how to read / is learning what not to read." HAHAHA ANI DIFRANCO JOKES.])

The 24-Hour Readathon is this Saturday and I am super excited about it. I've got my pile of books ready, I'm in the process of hoarding snacks, and I have prepared my reading nest (I threw my Snuggie on the couch).



I'm even more excited about my books than my snacks, and that's saying something. Because eating is just the best.


In the queue, we've got
  • Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
  • The Sky is Falling by Kit Pearson (comfort children's book for 3 am)
  • The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
  • Bossypants by Our Lady Tina Fey
  • Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
  • Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen
  • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
  • Maus, Vol. 1 by Art Spiegelman
  • Locke & Key, Vol.1: Welcome to Lovecraft by Joe Hill, illustrated by Gabriel RodrĂ­guez
It'll be a good day, is what I'm saying.

After the last readathon, I set out some bullet points as to what I'd do differently this time. Let's compare what I thought I'd do with what I actually intend to do.

  • As my kindly father pointed out, I need more snacks with energy-to-the-brain potential. Energy drinks, chocolate covered espresso beans, cocaine strong tea... Well, I've got coffee, Coke Zero, and a new box of earl grey, but I'd love some late-night snack suggestions.
  • Moranthology, a collection of article hilarity by Caitlin Moran, was just the right kind of book for a readathon. My excitement about it waned a bit by the end, though. Could be better to read a couple of pieces from a book like that (sideeyes Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls) between novels. I have Bossypants in my pile, and that might be a good breaker-upper.
  • Less spammy. I felt distinctly guilty about posting so much by hour 19, so in October I'll do one post with many updates. Also, probably not as many updates. Maybe multiple posts but fewer updates. Maybe I'm not sure on this one yet. MOAR SPAM. You guys were wonderful with your feedback, here, and I will go ahead and keep doing multiple posts, probably still hourly because why the hell not.
  • Audio books. I'd like to have an audio book (probably Bossypants by everyone's favourite Tina) on hand to listen to on a walk and while knitting or crocheting in the middle there, just to break things up. (Side note: must learn to knit or crochet by October.) And this is where I fail on all counts. No audio books, and still no fabric craft ability of any sort. But, I'm super accomplished in sitting still and looking at words on paper. Stick to what you know, I say.

I'm totally going to make it all 24 hours this year.

15 comments:

  1. I've only participated in one other Dewey challenge, but my favorite late night snack in the April challenge was a lentil & veggie stew I'd made the day before. It had lots of healthy veggies and was warm and comforting - plus I got multiple servings that kept me going. Good luck! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you with your book pile and your plans for this readathon. I am...I am going to be a mess on Saturday. Hopefully it will at least be an entertaining mess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as you have snacks, sister. It's going to be super fun, don't you worry!

      Delete
  3. "HAHAHA ANI DIFRANCO JOKES"

    ilu.

    Aren't almonds supposed to be good? Or something? Maybe I tell myself that because I really like almonds.

    Your book choices are EXCELLENT.

    I think I'm gonna do one post, but link to it on twitter when I update. Because I don't use a google reader/whatever it's called thing anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, almonds. Almonds are especially good because I already have them in my cupboards.

      No google reader of any sort! I too like to live dangerously.

      Delete
  4. Oh man. Manohmanohman am I excited to hear you talk about 99% of these books (which really means all of them, you know) because they're so darn fantastic. Also, for late night snacks - citrus is a good perk-up, if void of any actual caffeine, and I've heard wonders about the placebo effect of decaf coffee?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I AM SO EXCITED FOR THESE BOOKS!

      Thanks for the recs! I just bought some mandarin oranges because of this. And because they're delicious.

      Delete
  5. SUCH GOOD BOOKS. I was debating putting Miss Peregrine's.... in my pile too. I just don't knoooowwww. I have too many to make any real choices.

    I am so ready to sit around eating and reading all damn day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a really good problem. Just gather all your possible books into a towering pile of awesome possibilities.

      Delete
  6. Read Locke and Key in an early hour. That is my advice. Because it's really scary. It was much scarier than I was expecting, and I was reading it really late at night and then I got paranoid that BAD GUYS WERE COMING into my apartment. (They were not.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I TOO live in an apartment! Advice taken, thanks given.

      Delete
  7. SO EXCITED!

    My top readathon tip is to have a cut off time for caffeine (say, midnight) because if you drink some diet coke at 3am after already having had a lot of diet coke during the day, you WILL have palpitations by 4am and feel a bit like you're dying.

    Not... That this has happened to me, of course. It's just a forinstance. Ahem. (it's totally the reason that I don't even TRY to do 24 hours any more. Because I NEARLY DIED.)

    Anyway- YAY READATHON! I'm definitely not going to do 24 hours (I have to go to work on Sunday :(((( ) but I'm going to read my little heart out! YAY.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh oh oh, ALSO MAUS AND BOSSYPANTS AND FANGIRL YAAAAAAAAY!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wanted to say hello. I've got an audio book on my list this year, too. Great post.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, internets.