Friday, 4 October 2013

A Very Correct Readalong: The Intro Post


That's right, we're doing it again! The wonderful Alley at What Red Read is bringing us together for another readalong.


We'll be reading The Corrections by Jonathan I'm-Best-Known-For-My-Popularity-On-The-Internet Franzen.

I've never read any Franzen, and the only thing I know about him is that he recently said some mean things about Twitter and the internet and people were pissed


Not that he would know, as said upset people were venting their anger on the internet. I haven't read the source material for the internet hatealong, but I'm expecting to be much more informed on why exactly people don't like this guy after this readalong, even the intro post. I don't think knowing the author's kind of a goober will stop me from enjoying his book; I think only his book can do that. 

Not that I know anything about the book, either. The Goodreads summary makes it sound a bit like Revolutionary Road -- suburban melancholy and whatnot. But hey, if he gives us some interesting characters and some engaging, realistic dialog, I think we can all have a good time. And if those unsavoury aspects of his personality leak into his writing, making the book settle in the boring-when-it's-not-annoying category, then I think we can have a lot of fun.

I mean, think of the GIFs.

What? They don't all have to be topical.

So thanks for hosting this, Alley! Now to actually get a copy of the book...

18 comments:

  1. OMG LOOK AT THAT LAST GIF! Waltz and baby tiger hugs.

    Anyway, Franzy I am hoping that Franzen being all angry at the internet and whatnot won't leak into the book. We shall see. I'm sort of worried now that you brought up Revolutionary Road cos UGH WHINY RICH PEOPLE BEING WHINY. I think that's going to be exactly what this is.

    Whatever, at least we have our gifs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot even with that GIF. Not. Even.

      And I know, re: rich people whining! I worry.

      Delete
  2. I read some of the articles that Alley linked to in her post and yeah, Franzen seems full of himself. Like if you're going to rail against the internet and Amazon and e-readers, then maybe don't write articles for the internet, sell your books on Amazon, or publish e-copies of your book, right? Can't have it both ways, dude. (Although apparently he can, but you know what I mean. He's reaping the benefits of technology while being an ass about it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's having it both ways but being a douche about it. Oh, Franzey.

      Delete
    2. Sometimes I think that Franzen is just, you know, a Mr. Grumpy Puss. If it were the 1400s he'd probably be all like "Mr. Gutenberg, with his silly moveable type, has set the oral storytelling world back by a millenia". Cause some people just be haters.

      Delete
    3. Dammit Blogger, why won't you let me Like a comment.

      Delete
  3. I want to be famous just so I can cuddle tigers on the reg. This life is so unfair.

    I haven't read or seen Revolutionary Road but I join you in your hopes that this book turns out to be a quality read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Where are our tigers, Kayleigh? WHERE ARE OUR TIGERS?

      Delete
  4. I was totally like 'IS THAT CHRISTOPH WALTZ AND A TIGER?!' and the comments have confirmed that for me! GOD I'm glad that Django unchained exists and it's ok to fancy him now...

    Anyway... WE WILL HAVE FUN! And we might like the book, who knows! I kind of feel like I will, at least, but if everyone else hates it and I like it, I will be way sad and stuff. But... I'll get over it, I'm sure. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's so true about Django, but I went ahead and loved the crap out of him in Inglorious Basterds anyway. "That's a bingo!"

      This is totally already fun. You guys are great.

      Delete
  5. I think I'm going to be a big fan of your unrelated gifs if they're all as good as the baby tiger ones.

    I listened to Franzen's Freedom on audio because it was cheap. Well written but it was about whiny upper middle class white people. Because it's SO hard to be an upper middle class white person, you know? I hope The Corrections is mo' better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a once in a lifetime gif, right there.

      Freedom sounds similar to The Corrections then, so far. The writing is pretty, but I don't really care about any of the characters.

      Delete
  6. I am not so excited for the suburban angst (as it is my least favorite kind of angst) but I am mildly encouraged by the fact that the cover of my paperback is a little blond kid looking pissed at Christmas dinner, which makes me think this will be like A Christmas Story (aka the best holiday movie ever made). If there's a leg lamp I am SOLD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever felt like writing a post ranking your favorite types of angst, that'd be fun

      Delete
    2. I made meat loaf for dinner tonight, and Neil and I each said "Meat loaf, meat loaf, double beet loaf. I hate meat loaf" at least six times each. So. Yes.

      Also, DEFINITELY write a post listing your favourite types of angst.

      Delete
  7. I didn't know this read-a-long was happening until right this minute, and although Whiny White People With Problems In The 21st Century novels aren't usually my thing, I may just have to make it my thing so I can hang out with all you amazing people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, do it! Our first "now we've read stuff" post is this Friday, so there's lots of time. And I'll tell ya, I've read the first section now, and I'm liking it more than I thought I would.

      Delete

Talk to me, internets.