Thursday, 12 September 2013

Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn

Hold the phone, stop the presses, ready your cliches: I finished a book. 

Sharp Objects is the first novel by Gillian Flynn, of Gone Girl super-success. It turns out Flynn understood how to sustain suspense that's almost physically uncomfortable for an indecent number of pages (I got this out of the library Friday night and finished it Saturday. And I suck at reading lately) from the start.

Camille Preaker is a reporter in Chicago who has an editor named Curry. Curry, of course, is the best part of the book.



Though she can't seem to reach the level of reporting she strives for lately, Frank Curry sees potential in Camille. Because of this, and because the story's happening in her hometown, Curry assigns Camille to cover a ...

Weirdly, she's not as excited as Sherlock would be.

Really, it's one murder and one abduction, both of preteen girls. So, yeah. Fun times for all.

Flynn's writing got better by the time Gone Girl came along (went?). Here, she's still got some first-time-writer jitters. But the are so minor. And the story is so insane that you hardly notice those limp similes I find so upsetting. (Sharp Objects is huh-way better than another debut novel I've recently read [watch out, White Horse. I'm coming for you, internet-style {internet-style means GIFs}]). But her characters are great, entertainment-wise. (The mom, you guys.)


Sharp Objects is upsetting and suspenseful and what more do you want. All told, a fun RIP read.


16 comments:

  1. That Curry gif. LOOOVE

    I should really read Gone Girl. Or maybe this. Something Flynn. I want to join everyone's Flynn party

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I dunno about this one. Like. I read it. But it seemed kind of similar to Gone Girl? Like she's really into ladies who go off the deep end? But yeah, it moved, which is good. AND I'M GLAD YOU GOT INTO A BOOK. That's always nice during a slump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the perfect just after a slump book. It did not feel at all like work to read.

      Delete
  3. Oooooh. I have this. I don't think I was desperate to read it, but if you read it in, let's call it one day and you haven't even been reading... Ooooh, I say again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a speedy one, for sure! Could be a good readathon book, if you're doing that.

      Delete
  4. I have been avoiding Flynn due to all the super-hype, but maybe I'll try this one out since it's the lesser known of her popular crazy books.

    NICE for busting your reading slump though! HOORAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SUCK IT, SLUMP.

      It wasn't exactly a thinky book, but it was certainly good fun.

      Delete
  5. I will never read this book because Gillian Flynn = mind-warping in my book, but OMG, where did you get that Tim Curry gif? What is it from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DO NOT EVEN KNOW. It was on Tumblr under "Tim Curry gif". I think we may have to make it our mission to find out what movie it's from and watch it because MAN.

      Delete
    2. According to IMDb, it's from the 91 movie Oscar.

      Delete
  6. I OWN THIS. I will read it one day. One daaaaaaaaay.

    I know Gillian is big on the unlikable characters, so I'm pretty well prepared for just a whole book o' asshats. But if those asshats are doing exciting things and they got you to finish a book in one night + one day, then those asshats are A-OK by me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly. You never have to spend much time with the asshats in Flynn's books.

      Delete
  7. I LOVED this one when I read it! And I really enjoyed Gone Girl as well so I will pretty much read anything she writes at this point. I'm glad that you enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all of Flynn's novels, glad you enjoyed this one! She has such an ability to make us want to read about her terrible terrible characters.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, internets.