Sunday, 1 September 2013

R.I.P.: A blog rises from the grave


Boooooooks.

If internet-sanctioned horror reading won't bring this blog back from the dead, nothing will.

It's September first, and that means it's time for the annual R.I.P. reading challenge. Hosted by
Stainless Steel Droppings, the idea is to read and watch a whole mess of horror, mystery,
suspense, dark fantasy, etc over September and October. There are tiers of challenges, and, though it may be silly after such a drought of a summer, I'm going to go for Peril the First (read four books). 

I'll also be doing Peril on the Screen (self explanatory). I love horror movies, even though I generally suck at watching them. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Some examples of favourites: The Omen, because seriously, so good. In every way. Also, Gregory Peck. The Grudge, because it really, truly succeeded in scaring the popcorn right out of my bowl. (If I had popcorn when I watched it the first time. I don't remember. I may have blocked it out.) I'd love to see some Japanese horror, but I don't know where to start or where to find it. But yes, your suggestions, give them to me.

And, seeing as the 24 Hour Readathon is on October 12, Peril of the Short Story might make it in there, too.

"But tell us about the actual books," you say. Likely, four (fingers crossed) from among these:



We shall see.

ETA: If you are also looking for some horror films to watch this autumn (who isn't?), Kayleigh M over at Nylon Admiral just gave some very exciting recommendations in the comment section of her RIP VIII post

18 comments:

  1. Ooooh, oooh, let us all read some Gillian Flynn this RIP season and be horrified at the depths of human badness (hopefully). Also, of course, you should read The Shining. STEPHEN KING.

    Also YAY YOU'RE BACK! I love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STEPHEN KING! I read The Shining tenish years ago, and with Doctor Sleep coming out (!), I of course have to reread it.

      Yay, Gillian Upsetting Flynn! And I love you toooo.

      Delete
  2. Ohhhhh Gregory Peck. That guy is so handsome. It's unreasonable for any human person to be so handsome. I would almost (but not quite) watch a scary scary horror movie just for Gregory Peck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So handsome, right? He's like Clark Gable's less goofy older brother. And I love Clark Gable. Gregory Peck is so great in The Omen, too. But he can just do whatever. More Gregory Peck.

      Delete
  3. LOCKE AND KEY!! That's maybe my favourite series at the moment, and I'm dying because there are like two issues to go until it wraps up and they're taking forever to come out!

    I Am Legend is also one of my most favourite books ever, so yay for that one too! It's super short and really bleak and damn, I need to read some more Matheson now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you liked I Am Legend, because I saw the movie and eeeehhh. I think I want to earmark a bunch of these shorter ones for the readathon. I AM EXCITED ABOUT EVERYTHING.

      Delete
    2. Yeah the movie is not good, but the book is so, winning!

      I haven't said welcome back yet, WELCOME BACK! I hope my horror recs don't scare you away :-)

      Delete
  4. I MISSED YOU SO MUCH. Grabby hands, indeed.

    I need to read some more scary-type books. I think it helps, too, that we don't live alone. So we aren't limited in what hours of the day we can read a creepy thing. And I love the idea of reading scary books leading up to Halloween.

    I have Graveyard Book AND Sharp Objects and haven't read them. So maybe I'll just ride your coattails a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I MISSED YOU TOO I'M SORRY I WENT AWAY.

      The not living alone is key, actually. I would not read or watch any of these things if not for Neil being right there, ready to stand with me back-to-back holding knives. http://25.media.tumblr.com/4cc81dd267223a41a6796deddffc604c/tumblr_mhfysrezP11rq49qyo7_250.gif

      Let's both read those things! I don't have either of them, but the library does, and that's pretty much the same thing.

      Delete
  5. The Graveyard Book and We Have Always Lived in the Castle are both really good! I am hoping to get Night Film for my birthday. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, atmospheric and scary books (though Graveyard is maybe not so scary)! I keep hearing wonderful things about Night Film; I think that one's a must. I hope you get it!

      Delete
  6. KAYLEIGH UPDATE MORE WE MISS YOOOOOOU

    Also, I've actually read some of those? Which is weird since I can't stand scary things. Reading Night Film right now, and it's preeeetty swell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed you toooo! Thanks for encouragement and awesomeness.

      Delete
  7. Four books isn't TOO much for two months, right? I hope you enjoy the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It's just, after no books for a month, I'm not full of confidence. But thank you! I do love some RIP!

      Delete
  8. LOL that first GIF kind of scared me - wasn't expecting it.

    Oooo The Graveyard Book will be perfect for this! Makes me wish I hadn't read it already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, sneak attack zombie gif! I'm sorry it scared you. Good make-up though, hey?

      I reeeally want to read The Graveyard Book. Really lots.

      Delete

Talk to me, internets.