Sunday, 8 September 2013

Movie Enthusiast: Pulse

The premise: "Japanese university students investigate a series of suicides linked to an Internet Web cam that promises visitors the chance to interact with the dead."

The genre boxes: Supernatural horror

The reaction: The eyes. Oh God, the eyes.

The part where I say more things about it: This was so much fun. It checked all the boxes for a great horror movie: it was atmospheric, it had silly bits, it had "Wait! No, stop. I don't actually want to watch this any more" moments. It even had some great, classic horror movie music. And it didn't keep me up or stay with me in a here-I-am-folding-laundry-when-suddenly-TERROR way. 


Which, to clarify, is a good thing. 

Some parts seemed over the top, acting-wise, but hey. It's horror. It's how they do. And the story was a great jumping off point for the scares.

NB: If you or someone in listening range of this movie has tinnitus, be aware that there's a high-pitched hum that plays through probably 80% of the movie. Neil (this house's tinnitus sufferer) says that regular ear plugs cut out most of the badness, but some parts are still pretty intense.


The verdict: A great movie for RIP season. Watch it if you're looking for some scares with a dash of quirk and you don't want to have to sleep with the light on, holding a chef's knife. Because that's just dangerous. Pulse was a thoroughly satisfying horror movie without being oppressively terrifying. Humongous thanks to Kayleigh M at Nylon Admiral for the recommendation. All the candy corn for you.

8 comments:

  1. Yay! I think pretty much all J-horror has melodramatic elements - although sometimes I wonder if that's just a cultural thing and it's only to us that it seems overacted. Hopefully you like the rest of the films on the list as much as this one!

    Sidenote: I've never had candy corn, but tv and film has convinced me I must eat it. Is it just a halloween thing or will I find some when I get to America this Dec?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, you need to eat some candy corn. You will either love it or think it is waxy vanilla blandness. (I love it.) You could probably get it in December, but it's possible it'll have gone stale. I haven't seen it in the bulk bins yet, but it's definitely coming soon.

      On a totally unrelated note, you should maybe email me your mailing address to kayleighvonw at gmail.com. You know, in case of emergencies. Relating to a lack of candy corn.

      Delete
  2. AGH I CANNOT WATCH SCARY MOVIES BUT I'M GLAD YOU CAN

    Did you get Night Film yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU I DO ENJOY THEM EXCEPT WHEN I WANT TO DIE.

      I have NOT gotten Night Film yet. I asked my librarian whether the library would be getting it, and she wound up putting a request in for it for me. Except, I want to read it now so I was thinking of buying it, but then they'll email me telling me it's in and THEN what am I going to say? "Never mind?" I mean, like I could even..

      That might have been more information than you needed. I see you're liking it though! That is good.

      Delete
  3. Ohhhh, I watched this with the bf a couple years ago. CREEPY AS ALL HELL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super creepy! But once you're done watching, the creep doesn't stay with you.

      Delete
  4. I don't know if I can watch movies about the Internet being mean to people. I LIKE THE INTERNET and only occasionally fear it.

    But that bunny GIF. Oh man...that bunny GIF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bunny GIF is one of those things where the Internet is great. Ghosty webcam death parades are one of those things where it is not.

      Delete

Talk to me, internets.