Sunday, 28 July 2013

A Mini Readathon in Three Parts




Part 1
"The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of mini things."

This is it: the mini readathon! Hosted by the fabulous Tika, we're going to be reading and snacking and tweeting (mostly the last two) from 9-5. Minithonning like it's our job, yo.


We like a theme, this group, so we're sticking to reading and eating things that fall under the "mini" umbrella.
Mini umbrellas are the cutest umbrellas.

Me, I'll be reading these bad boys:


BAM. Book pile. Identification and reasoning from top to bottom: 
  • Night Shift by Stephen King, because short stories are mini, inherently; 
  • The Giver by Lois Lowry, because it's written for mini-people (children/teens) and because everyone ever has read it and loved it and I WILL NOT BE LEFT OUT; and 
  • Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan, because mini-people audience and mini-brainspace usage required for reading it. Also I hear it's funny.

To fuel these happy reading funtimes, I'm starting off with breakfast of mini frittatas (recipe found over at Food Riot) and toast, which is not mini, but egg by itself is gag-y, so.


Please be appeased by my mini glass of orange juice.

And that's the intro post! To Oz? To Oz!




Part 2

Mini pizza lunch!

It looked much nicer before I cut it. 

MID-THON CHECK IN TIME.

Books read from: Night Shift and The Giver
Pages read: 92
Blogs visited: Reading the Bricks, Estella's Revenge, Libereading, Devouring Texts, Capricious Reader, and A Lovely Bookshelf on the Wall. If you're minithonning and I've missed you, I'm sorry! Join us on twitter with the hashtag #minithon and link up on Miss Tika's blog.
How it's all going: SO GOOD. Well. So well. I read "Jerusalem's Lot" from King's Night Shift to get things started, and it was supah creepy (read: excellent). Now I'm getting into The Giver and it is truly great. I don't know why it's taken me so long to pick it up. Probably because there are so many books in the world.

I know that feel.

How's everyone doing? Have you been able to pull yourselves away from the internet and read? (It's just, the internet's so shiny.)


Part 3

That's it! It's over! GOOD JOB, EVERYBODY.

Books read from: Night Shift, The Giver, and Will Grayson, Will Grayson
Pages read: 269
Books finished: The Giver
Blogs visited: River City Reading, A Lovely Bookshelf on the Wall, Libereading, Devouring Texts, Capricious Reader, Estella's Revenge, and, of course, that of our fearless leader - Reading the Bricks! And what a glorious group of blogs they are. You guys rock.
How it went: Like gangbusters, is how.
Final gratuitous snack picture:

The bulk bin they were in said they were a Dragon Egg mix. Clearly, as far as dragon eggs go, these are mini. (They're like chip nuts, but with super delicious flavours like wasabi and I don't even know.)

Thank you, Tika, for a wonderful Sunday! 

21 comments:

  1. Excellent reading choices! Have you read The Giver before? If it's your first time, I'm excited to hear your reaction to the ending.

    And those mini fritatas are making me hungry...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read The Giver! I'mma start with that one, I think.

      Delete
    2. Why must you keep updating with pictures of healthy mini-foods?? You're making the rest of us look bad... *eats another minimuffin*

      Dude, Stephen King creeps me the eff out, which is why I've only ever read his memoir about writing, as it was decidedly un-creepy. Props to you for being braver than me.

      Delete
    3. What better way to kick off a readthon than with demon-zombies, amirite?

      *sobs for lack of minimuffins*

      Delete
  2. I've never read The Giver, it's one of those books I keep meaning to... Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! Seemed like the minithon was a good time for it. And thanks - I'm sure I'll like it!

      Delete
  3. Your mini frittatas are both impressive and delicious looking! Too bad it's practically dinner time here... And I ain't making no frittatas.

    Also, I have to add, STEPHEN KIIIIIIIIIIING :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And, STEPHEN KIIIIIIIIIIING!

      Delete
  4. Oh, wow - you have some great picks! The Giver is one of my favorite books ever. I still pick it up and read it all the time. I'm really curious what you'll think reading it as an adult, I wonder if it will have that same impact. I read Will Grayson, Will Grayson a few years ago and really enjoyed it - it's a good, quick read!

    Glad to have found your blog through the MiniThon links!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! Thanks for visiting!

      I'm on page 59 of The Giver, and it's really fantastic - I'm loving it so far. But I can definitely tell that, if I'd read it as a child/teen, it would have been one of those part-of-my-DNA books. (Is it too early on to say such thing? Doesn't matter.)

      Delete
    2. YES THE GIVER IS A PART OF ONE'S DNA KIND OF BOOK

      Delete
  5. Oooo, The Giver. I own that (so I haven't read it, natch)! Did you know it's part of a series? I DID NOT. Goodreads told me so.

    Ok. Gonna eat some vegetables smothered in ranch dressing now. And read some more? Maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DID NOT KNOW THAT EITHER until recently. And the final one (the third?) just came out not too long ago, right?

      Delete
    2. This is a warning vis-a-vis that series: the second book is terrible. I cannot speak to the third but the second one, OMG IT IS SO BAD.

      How bad? My book club read it after I left and BEFORE I left, I was like, Guys, no. And then I talked to one girl later and she was like, All of us hated it except for me, I didn't read it because you said it was bad.

      HEED HER EXAMPLE. It's so bad.

      Delete
  6. I HAVE TOTALLY STOLEN THAT BOOK GIF JUST SO YOU KNOW (it is awesome. And so going to happen to me one day.)

    Pizza is always the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'things that fall under the "mini" umbrella' and then that frog holding a mini umbrella image is the sort of literal-interpretation-sight-gag the internet was born for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely burst out laughing at the "to talk of mini things," madam. AND THE FROG. THE FROOOG.

    Also — I LOVE WILL GRAYSON, WILL GRAYSON SO MUCH I REALLY DO

    ReplyDelete
  9. MINI DRAGON EGGS! You win at everything. YAY MINI-READING :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. "The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of mini things."
    HERE'S A MEDAL, YOU WIN THE INTERNET.

    Aw man, I wish I could have joined you guys! I sort of wished I had read The Giver at a later age, because I read this for school, back when it was lame to like books and have intense feels about them. I went back to read it later and OMG SO GOOD. I had no idea that it later became a series, so what do you think? To read or not to read?

    ReplyDelete
  11. That frog is the cutest of cute.

    And I had to go onto my blog to see if I'd read Night Shift (All of S.K's short story books have similar sounding titles to me) but I had, and I remembered Jerusalem's Shift and how good it is! So yay for reading that!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, internets.