Friday, 7 June 2013

HP Friday: Lee Jordan, still the best.

Darlings, dearests, dumplings, it's been forever. Since my last post, I've moved to Fort St. John in the semi-North; but that is a post for another day, because today, my snorsnacks, is Harry Potter Friday. Thank you Alice, as ever, for bringing us together.

This section was super sad, made sadder by the knowledge that the saddest sads are yet to come.


So many things made me weepy in this section:

Luna had decorated her bedroom ceiling with five beautifully painted faces: Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny and Neville. [...] What appeared to be fine golden chains wove around the pictures, linking them together, but after examining them for a minute or so, Harry realised that the chains were actually one word, repeated a thousand times in golden ink: friends ... friends ... friends ...


While Hermione is being tortured above him, Harry "sees Ron running around the cellar, looking up at the low ceiling, searching for a trapdoor. [...] Ron was now trying to Disapparate without a wand."

Nope.

Dobby's hand jerked in his.

Ron sat on the edge of the grave and stripped off his shoes and socks, which he placed upon the elf's bare feet.

"Thank you so much, Dobby, for rescuing me from that cellar. It's so unfair that you had to die, when you were so good and brave. I'll always remember what you did for us. I hope you're happy now."

NOPENOPENOPE

So, alright, other things. Harry chooses Draco's wand because it feels friendlier. Is this because Harry and Draco have a love that endures forever, do we think, or because Harry won it back in CoS what with the dueling and the introduction of expellioverusedmus? 

And how did Harry Apparate to Shell Cottage if it had the Fidelius Charm on it?

And how can we begin to deal with this readalong coming to an end?

We CAN'T, is how.

14 comments:

  1. WHY MUST YOU LIST OUT ALL OF THE SAD THINGS? Luna's eulogy for Dobby. I'm going to cry

    I forgot all about Harry winning the wand from Draco back in CoS, so I'm going with the luuurve thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THOSE WERE MY NOTES FOR THIS WHOLE SECTION. Just page numbers and tear stains.

      Delete
  2. Clearly it's their eternal love that makes Draco's wand feel friendlier in Harry's hand (snigger). But also, he disarmed Malfoy t Malfoy Manor, so if we believe in wand lore as presented to us in this book, that would explain it. But I also like your extra explanation from Harry's disarming Draco back in 2nd year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did he expelliarmus him or just take is wand, physically? Would both change the wand's allegiance? Either way, the answer is still love.

      Delete
    2. I think he just wrestled Draco's wand away from him with his hands. (That sounds so sexual... this readalong is giving me a dirty mind.)

      So I guess you can just pick up a wand and it's suddenly loyal to you? I wonder if, say, Harry stole Hermione's wand while she was sleeping, if it would just automatically switch to him? Or if you trip and drop your wand and someone else picks it up, is it finders keepers??

      SO MANY QUESTIONS.

      Delete
  3. "expellioverusedmus" -- I'm going to focus on how funny I found this and not how sad EVERYTHING ELSE IN YOUR POST IS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always with the silver linings, you are.

      Delete
  4. Harry apparated to Shell Cottage cause Dobby was the actual apparater and he can apparate anywhere! I NEVER KNOW THE ANSWERS TO THESE THINGS!! :)

    All the nopes to everything. I agree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, I would be OK with that, if Dobby were the actual apparater

      Delete
    2. Also Dobby had already apparated there with Dean and Luna, so possibly Bill gave him the secret on that trip? IDK.

      Delete
  5. All the nopes, indeed. And the next section is going to be even SADDER, because of all the things aaaand because it's the last one :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riiight? I can't bear it, Sarah.

      Delete
  6. I don't think that Shell Cottage had the Fidelius Charm on it until they all got there and the Weasleys realized how much danger they were in. Or maybe the answer is "elf magic" as it so often is?

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, internets.