Thursday, 25 April 2013

HP Late Thursday: Find the Wilkie

It's time for another installment in the Harry Potter Readalong hosted by Alice at Reading Rambo. This week we're talking about chapters 8-18 in Half-Blood Prince

Well, cutlets, there are readathon snacks to plan, so I'm going to get right to the bullet points:

  • That Harry places the majority of the blame for Sirius's death on Snape and his teasing gives me multiple levels of sads. Harry is blinded by his hatred of Snape, even after seeing that horrible memory  sad. Harry can't imagine that it was Sirius's love for him that ultimately drove him to the ministry, can't imagine that an adult would love him that much  THE MOST SAD.


  • Harry's love for Ginny is getting developed and I am a'flutter, folks. First, he smells Ginny in the love potion which, aww. Second, he sees her and Dean going at it in that hallway and promptly imagines himself in Dean's position.


  • Page 176, "Malfoy looked rather as he had done the time Hermione had punched him in the face." Hermione slapped him in the book! She punched him in the movie. Looks like I'm not the only one getting movie scenes mixed up with book scenes.


For reference. And for lols.

  • Please tell me that Fleur refused to wear Mrs. Weasley's Christmas jumper, not that Mrs. Weasley refused to make one. I don't care if you think it's true; just tell me.
  • The Apparition Instructor is named Wilkie, and that's why we're all here, really.

"Destination, Determination, Deliberation!"

  • Finally, love-potion drunk Ron might be my favourite Ron. "Ron burst through the door into Slughorn's overheated, crowded study, tripped over a tasselled footstool, regained his balance by seizing Harry around the neck and muttered, 'She didn't see that, did she?'"

Oh, Ron. You lovable dope.

15 comments:

  1. I'm more angry at Harry for blaming Snape. Cause you know, he kinda blamed himself and well everyone at first, and then he "had time to think about it" and just decided that Snape was to blame. Weak sauce, Harry.

    Harry smelling Ginny is the cutest. I wonder what Hermione was about to say when she was saying what she smelled in the love potion but cut herself off? What does she think Ron smells like???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed re: Snape hate. Harry is so stubborn -- I mean, he seems to hate Snape MORE after seeing the penseive memory in which Snape is shown to have been absolutely correct about Harry's dad. Ugh.

      I think a read an interview with JKR in which she said Hermione stopped talking before she said that she smelled Ron's hair? I guess Ron's hair scent must be an aphrodisiac to her...

      Delete
    2. I'm sad that Harry blames Snape, but I'm not angry at him. At this point it's still super fresh, and Snape does actually everything he can to inspire hate in the kid. When Harry arrives late off the train, covered in blood, and Snape gives him a hard time about wanting to show off and make an entrance? Read the room, Snape.

      Aww, Ron's hair, haha.

      Delete
  2. Awww, Ewan McGregor. I want to watch Moulin Rouge again now. Ewan McGregor is the legitimate cutest.

    Also re blame: Do you think Harry really truly blames Snape? Cause I sort of don't think he does. I think it's that thing where you are pissed off and there's nobody to be pissed off at really, so you just put the blame on someone convenient that you already don't like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a good time to watch Moulin Rouge again. Especially with the Slughorn tie-in.

      You could definitely be right about Harry blaming Snape. And I guess it'd be too painful to think of your father figure dying because he loved you and wanted to protect you. Easier to blame someone like Snape.

      Delete
  3. I'm very "meh" on the Harry/Ginny thing, but it was cute that he smelled her in the love potion. Except love potions are creepy as hell and pretty much wizarding roofies, which makes that whole "I smell you in these date rape drugs" less romantic.

    Of course it was Fleur refusing to wear Mrs. Weasley's sweater (even though I kinda got the impression that Mrs. W. didn't make her one. Except it doesn't seem that Fleur cares, unless she's DYING INSIDE cos all of her new family is super mean to her)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love potions are SUPAH creepy. You won't see "I smell you in these date rape drugs" popping up in any love ballads any time soon.

      (I got the impression Mrs Weasley didn't make Fleur a sweater too, but I just don't want to believe it. So mean!)

      Delete
    2. 'I smell you in these date rape drugs.'

      Woman, I fucking love you.

      Delete
  4. Moulin Rouge gifs! Who even knew such a wonderful thing existed?!

    I genuinely can't even believe that JK mixed up HER OWN BOOK with the movie! What a foooool! Oh JK...

    The sixth movie is basically the only HP movie I've seen (Review: it was ok) and the drunk-with-potion bits were BY FAR my favouritest! Oh Ron... LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the craziest of pants? It's crazy-pants.

      Delete
  5. Ewannnn! WE should be lovers, Ewan.

    Lovestruck Ron is so hilariously dopey. I know a lot of people have a hate-on for Movie Ron, but LOOKIT HIM. He's a gangly mess and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't hate movie Ron, people! Movie Ron is goofy greatness.

      Ah, Ewan. I love him so. I might just devote this blog to McGregor gifs.

      Delete
  6. Ooh, good catch on the punch/slap thing! I totally missed that chance to poke holes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My hate-on for Ron is more restricted to book Ron, actually. Since I'm not particularly invested in the movies, Movie Ron neither impresses nor repulses me.

    But, er, yes. The whole Harry/Severus story arc is so interesting and frustrating to me. I'm emotionally drawn to Harry's story and intellectually drawn to Snape's story and the entire series would have been a lot more resolved for me if, instead of handing us that ridiculous Epilogue That Makes Me Want To Puke, JKR had given us a true resolution between Harry and Snape--a meeting of the minds, a true understanding and respect from one character to the other. because each one seriously misjudges the other, to the detriment of the entire wizarding world. Just think what could have been avoided...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am, for whatever reason, imagining Ewan McGregor just popping around Hogwart's curtains and tapestries and singing "we should be lovers" right in Harry/Ginny, Ron/Hermione, Filch/Mrs Norris' faces. It is the most wonderful thing. So thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, internets.