Friday, 19 April 2013

HP Friday: Mollywobbles. That is all.

We're starting Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince this week in Alice's readalong, and you know it's getting real because, though I did write my name in this book (a practice that has long been discarded), my writing looks like my grown-up writing. Getting really real.

Spoilers ahead, as per the usual.


Not much to talk about yet. Snape has a front room we'd all swoon over, with many leather bound books.

I bet it smells of rich mahogany.

Do we buy "fear of relapse" as the reason why Dumbledore wouldn't let Snape teach DADA? I always figured it was because Snape was just to damn good at Potions to waste. I guess it would be believable for Dumbledore to be wary of letting Snape dwell on the dark arts, but do you really think Snape would snap and fall back into those presumably evil habits? I think he was burned too badly by Lily's death to ever go back.

The Dumbledore-Dursley scene makes me so happy. The man with the hat has some sass! 

Por ejemplo (pg 53):

Uncle Vernon shouted, "Will you get these ruddy things off us?"
Harry looked round; all three of the Dursleys were cowering with their arms over their heads as their glasses bounced up and down on their skulls, the contents flying everywhere.
"Oh, I'm so sorry," said Dumbledore politely, and he raised his wand again. All three glasses vanished. "But it would have been better manners to drink it, you know."



And this. Sweet, sweet this (pg 57):

"You did not do as I asked. You have never treated Harry as a son. He has known nothing but neglect and often cruelty at your hands. The best that can be said is that he has at least escaped the appalling damage you have inflicted upon the unfortunate boy sitting between you."

So satisfying. 

Most importantly, in this section, Ginny names her Pygmy Puff "Arnold" and we fall in love with her all over again.

Hahaha, that's a person's name!

To Hogwarts? To Hogwarts!

Because when is it not a good time to post a
Harry Potter narwhal? Almost never.
[by Hayley Cassatt]

13 comments:

  1. Oh crap, I meant to say that I love Snape's front room! BOOKS!

    Dumbledore can be as sassy as he likes to the Dursleys, he's still the one who left Harry with them. (I know, I know, ancient magic. But STILL- he couldn't have dropped by every now and then?) Why am I being mean about Dumbles? I JUST DON'T KNOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Booooks!

      The Dursley's are ridiculously silly villains, and the deserve some silly sass thrown right back at them. Though, yeah, Dumbledore might be compensating in front of Harry what with the whole thing being his doing, really.

      Delete
  2. Ginny and Neville deserve each other. Need we remind ourselves that Neville's frog ALSO has a people name? WE NEED NOT.

    Ginny + Neville 4 ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made this EXACT point. We have minds that think like...minds. We are like-minded.

      Delete
  3. Snape couldn't have been the DADA teacher because of the curse on the position. Dumbledore knew that Snape could have that position for one year (at most) as long as Voldemort was alive. Plus, a man doesn't talk about potions like that if he doesn't truly love (cf: his introductory speech in Harry's first year).

    Dumbledore should have let the Dursleys really have it about their treatment of Harry--and I'm pretty sure he had a good idea of what was happening at home, if not the exact details. The boy shows up for school undernourished and with no clothing of his own, save his Hogwarts robes. Dumbles had to have known. What I don't support was his muggle-baiting of the Dursleys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I forgot to add my praise for your recognition of the fact that it's pretty much always the right time for Narwhal Harry Potter.

      Delete
  4. I don't think I ever really understood Snape's desire to teach DADA, and why it was such a big deal. I mean it's *defence against* the dark arts, so how much of his favourite darks arts would he actually get to do? Although I guess there's the slippery slope argument, but with Voldemort gone I don't see Snape trying to be the new Dark Lord. He's definitely a follower not a leader.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always wondered about the whole DADA things. Because, it's not like he would teach the Dark Arts themselves would he? I mean sure, that would be tempting, but why would teaching how to fight them be a risk? It's like not letting a kid clean up messes for fear that it will inspire him to make messes. Ridiculous.

    Also, I like when Dumbly calls the Dursleys on their douchiness, but I don't like that he totally insults Dudley in the process. I mean, Dudley's IN THE ROOM and yeah, he's a jerk, but he's also a kid. Not cool, bro.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re: Snape and DADA, I always assumed it was more to do with the fact that Snape was a Death Eater and therefore parents wouldn't be cool with him teaching the subject. Maybe Dumbles just wanted to avoid dealing with the annoying complaint owls? IDK.

    Dude, that narwhal is just begging for me to print him out and frame him...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, your name in the book! I wish I still had copies from when I was younger and first started reading them, but sadly I do not.

    I think Snape being super-awesome at Potions is a good reason to not let him teach DADA. I feel like Potions teachers would be harder to find. Although I wonder why Snape still wants the DADA position SOOOOO bad, hasn't he realized by now how cursed it is?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love when Dumbledore fusses at the Dursleys on Harry's behalf, but since some of the other commenters bring it up, it does feel too little too late. He had, like, a LOT of years in which to keep an eye on Harry and maybe swing by the Dursley place and let them know abuse would not be tolerated. Hmph.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hadn't thought of it at the time, but now that you've included that gif, I am picturing a Snape/Ron Burgundy cross and it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, internets.