Friday, 5 April 2013

HP Friday: "Hem he-" Judo CHOP

As that upsetting walrus said, the time has come to talk of many things. It's Harry Potter Friday, and we're discussing chapters 21 to 29 of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Check out Reading Rambo for some keen, GIFy insight and links to all the other posters. There be spoilers, herein.


I'm watching A Very Potter Sequel on YouTube right now, so I came into this week's reading with Joe Walker's Umbridge in my head.


Book Umbridge could hardly get my rage cauldron boiling if I've cast her as hilarious internet Umbridge. But then, of course, five pages into chapter 21, Umbridge "hem hem"s her way through Hagrid's class and I'm shaking my fist at the heavens, back to my murdery old self. So much for that coping mechanism.

A Britishism question for you all (Laura) from page 399: what, exactly, is it to be at "loggerheads" with someone? I do not know this saying. (I'm guessing it's effectively "butting heads.")

Bullet points? Bullet points.

- pg 400: Harry is worried about Sirius being alone at Christmas, which is probably why I never got too irreversibly upset at Sirius over whole "James" comment: Harry keeps a'loving him and, dangit, I do too.

- pg 416: Dumbledore says, cryptically, "But in essence divided?" I think this is when he realizes that Harry's and Voldemort's soulsorwhatever are bound, but separate. Voldemort is not actively possessing Harry all the live long day. Yes?

- pg 441-442: Ginny reminds Harry (and us, dear readers) that she's a freaking badass. 

"I forgot," he said. 
"Lucky you," said Ginny cooly.


We love you, Ginny. Forget Harry.

- pg 444: Percy is so horrible that I actually can't handle it. Returning your Christmas jumper with no note just days after your father was attacked and nearly killed?!


- pg 450: This calls for comic relief! Sweet, crazy Lockhart had me loling and all was right with the world again.

- pg 455: LOLJK actually everything's horribly tragic and we meet Neville's parents and his mom gives him a wrapper because IT'S ALL SHE HAS TO GIVE and he keeps it and will likely treasure it always.


- And then Dumbledore leaves Hogwarts in a pleasingly badass manner and somewhere in there we see James and Sirius as horrifying teenagers and I just wish Harry would talk to Snape about it. "My dad was an asshat. I am not my dad." 

- Fred and George close out the section for us with the best exit in the history of exits.

Did we all use this GIF this week? Yes, right?

Alright! Good luck with next week's section! See you next Friday; I'll be the one with the rent garments.

18 comments:

  1. There is so much happening in this section and it's all so great, even when I want to set Umbridge on fire. Or am sobbing because of that Neville scene.

    I'm glad we all quoted the Ginny/Harry exchange. It's so wonderful. Ginny, you kick ass and Harry does not deserve you and your awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could we NOT quote the Ginny/Harry exchange, I ask you. The BEST.

      Delete
  2. WE BOTH QUOTED THE GINNY THING

    Yeah, I really wish Harry would talk to Snape. But there's a lot of bad shit between them. And Harry's 15. And angry. I had a physics teacher in high school who once called me a "valley girl" and I STILL get angry about it (despite...y'know...Christian forgiveness and whatnot). And Snape's obviously done things 10,000x worse/more unfair to Harry. So it's hard to just forgive and sit down and chat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Aw, that's very true. And I'm sorry your physics teacher was a bit of a douche.

      Delete
  3. Ok, I totally want Harry to have that conversation with Snape. Because it UPSETS me that he thinks that Harry is anything like James (at least at that age) because he really hugely is not.

    Aaaand, much as I don't really like Sirius, the thought of him being alone at Christmas made me sad. Which just proves, I think, that I'm nice, basically haha.

    Being at loggerheads is something that I... Don't really know how to explain. But, I guess it's like facing off against each other? Having the complete opposite views about something? Does that even make sense?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does make sense as a definition of loggerheads. You can definitely get the meaning from the context in the book, but yes, I had never heard that phrase before.

      Four stars for being nice! And yeah, Harry is NOTHING like James. Come *on* Snape!

      Delete
  4. I love that basically everyone in this readalong has quoted that Ginny line. GINNNYYYYYYYYYYY.

    >>>which is probably why I never got too irreversibly upset at Sirius over whole "James" comment: Harry keeps a'loving him and, dangit, I do too.

    Yes! This! I had a sentence about this in my defense of Sirius post but ended up taking it out because it was sort of a sideline to my main point. Everyone's so shattered for Harry, but Harry takes it in stride pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry is a tough kid, and he totally understands that being snippy like that is out of character for Sirius.

      We all have huge crushes on Ginny.

      Delete
  5. When I read the Ginny thing in the book, I wanted to talk about it SO BAD, but I was in the car with two dudes. So what I did was basically interrupt their conversation about Justified and go ON about how Ginny lights up my life. It wasn't as satisfying as I had hoped, and that's why I have you ladies. Thank the heavens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! They just don't understand our love for Ginny. It's real and it's deep.

      Delete
  6. That gif for Ginny's awesomeness is perfection.

    Percy does not get enough focus in this readalong. God damn he's awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is WITH that kid?! I don't remember how or if he redeems himself, so I'm looking forward to that. Dude's got some work to do.

      Delete
  7. I was wondering about that "in essence divided" thing! But I only wondered for about two seconds before shrugging and reading more, because I am a lazy.

    And it would've been so awesome if Snape and Harry could've just had a nice, long, civil chat to clear up some things. There are about a dozen scenarios in ths series where a good talking to would've helped so many things. Le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, too right. These characters forget to use their words.

      Delete
  8. "But in essence divided?" - I always thought that meant the connection between Voldy and Nagini - though I suppose it could apply to any Voldy and ANY of his Horcruxes... Also, I LOVE the car fire/Ginny gif. And yes, of course I used the gif of Fred and George. Why wouldn't I?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, that could work, too. And his hologram thingy showed two snakes. But he seemed really pleased that they were divided. I just don't know. What did that device really show him?

      Yes, F&G gif!

      Delete
  9. Snape and Harry need to get SUPER drunk together and talk over their feels, and then hug it out.

    Someone else had that gif but captioned 'We regret nothing' and I LAUGHED AND LAUGHED.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would really love it if Snape and Harry could do this. Ah, man, if I think about it too much it starts giving me some hefty sads.

      Haaaaaaaa, Fred and George gif.

      Delete

Talk to me, internets.