Friday, 15 March 2013

HP Friday: Priori Incansobem

It's Harry Potter Friday, my dumbly-darlings. This week we're looking at the end of Goblet of Fire, from chapters 29 through 37, otherwise known as the portion of the book where my face explodes in tears while we have company over.

YOU HUG HIM, MRS. WEASLEY.
YOU HUG HIM FOR ALL OF US.

Thank you, Reading Rambo, for hosting this group cry. (Expect spoilers, all ye who enter here.)

Good CRAP this is a sad read as an adult. Harry is still so freaking little! He is not emotionally equipped to handle this shit! OK, let's start a little earlier, though.

Sirius' letter on page 496 is another example of him rocking the parenting, and Harry's reaction makes complete adolescent sense. And, because of Sirius' advice (from earlier), Harry finally goes to Dumbledore with a problem. Thank you, Sirius.


Hermione's sudden realization of Rita Skeeter's secret on page 533 reminds me of every episode of House ever. And also this dog:


More tricky timeline stuff when Mrs. Weasley says the Whomping Willow was planted after she was at school. Her time at the school and Lupin's time couldn't have overlapped at all. And then I get all befuddled thinking about whether Bill and Charlie were at school at the same time Harry's parents were, and yes, I guess they were, and I'mma just let Australian Kayleigh deal with this stuff. Also, Hagrid was at school before Mrs. Weasley, right? So what did he do in the years between being expelled and becoming Hogwarts' game keeper? Do we find that out? (Has he already told us?) (I have a sneaking suspicion I would be very happy as a goldfish. "Oh hey, a scuba diver! Holy crap, is that a castle? Oh hey, a scuba diver!")

On page 562 Voldemort says that the Death Eaters "knew the steps [he] took, long ago, to guard [himself] against mortal death." So then, Lucius knew that the diary was a horcrux. Did he know that he was putting it in danger by sending it out of his sight? Did he think Voldie was out of the picture, so why not get a bit of remnant scariness on a work rival of yours? Or had we decided that the Death Eaters knew that the horcruxes were out there, but didn't know which objects they were exactly?

Also in the horrifying graveyard scene, Voldemort lists the Death Eaters who aren't present and whether they suck or not. How surprised am I that Harry doesn't assume Snape is Voldemort's faithful servant at Hogwarts? So surprised. But I guess, since Karkaroff's the one who has likely left forever, who will be killed, and Crouch Jr is the faithful one, Snape was "too cowardly to return" and will pay. Does he pay? I'm going to start OotP the very second I post this.

I love love ferocious Dumbledore, who makes his first appearance after breaking into "Moody's" office. But tell me, hive mind, what we think this means, on page 604: Harry tells Dumble that using Harry's blood made Voldemort stronger than any other blood would have, that Voldemort has some of the protection that Harry's mother left to him, that Voldemort touched his face. "For a fleeting instant, Harry thought he saw a gleam of something like triumph in Dumbledore's eyes." Hmmmm? Was it because a theory of D's was proven correct? Which, do you think? 

Philosophizing sloth is as interested in your thoughts as I am.

There is so much to talk about, but this post is way too long. But just let me say that the graveyard scene is the best thing of ever. It was so scary and so sad and just SO MUCH compared to anything we've encountered. 

So far! (She said ominously.)

*side eyes OotP*

21 comments:

  1. Noooo, Karkaroff is the one who was too cowardly to return, and Snape was the one he thought was lost forever! (I assume because of D-Dore and his awesomeness.)

    HP maths and timelines UPSET me, BUT I will say that Hagrid was at school at the same time as Voldy, Mr and Mrs Weasley must be older than Harry's parents (obvs, because of their really old children). Oooh, AND it seems like Hagrid was just made groundskeeper AS SOON AS he got expelled. Which is stupid, because he was like 13. So if that's not true then IDK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, though? Because Karkaroff betrayed a LOT of people. Voldemort would know that, for sure. Would he really take him back? No way. That guy is dead.

      But, but, there was a different groundskeeper when Molly was at school, and she can't be older than Voldemort, because hasn't it been said that he was at school 50 years ago? I don't know dude. This book is fantastic and I love this series and I'm just going to go ahead and not worry about it.

      Delete
    2. I think Hagrid was sort of apprenticed to the current groundskeeper, because Mrs Weasley mentions the groundskeeper during her day being called Ood (or something) and that's definitely after Hagrid was expelled, but considering she has kids in their mid-late 20s she's probably approaching her mid-50s (at least) and therefore Hagrid was about 23 when she came to school and might have still been a helper/apprentice. Maybe.

      Delete
    3. Also, I should have read your reply Other Kayleigh, because you mentioned Mrs Weasley (I can't not call her that) and her other groundskeeper too!

      Delete
    4. I know -- "Molly" is so much shorter but after I typed it I felt like I had called my Mom by her first name. That is just wrong. I still address envelopes to "Mom and Dad" when I send them mail, most times. Because *really*.

      Delete
    5. yes! And old teachers, it's really hard to see them again and not just call them Mrs __ and Mr __, which makes it extra weird when you see them at a bar or restaurant.

      Delete
  2. "(I have a sneaking suspicion I would be very happy as a goldfish. "Oh hey, a scuba diver! Holy crap, is that a castle? Oh hey, a scuba diver!")" - best parenthetical.

    I would try to figure out the Weasley timeline but it hurts my head right now. I didn't even figure Hagrid into it.

    Look at Sirius being all parental and giving Harry good advice which he actually follows. And then Harry is all sad when Sirius has to go and OMG I'm going to tear up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES I hate it when Sirius has to leave. That hospital scene is way sadder than the actual mayhem and death scene.

      Delete
    2. I second this: that is the best paranthetical. I spit tea.

      Delete
  3. Maths and JKR just do not mix well. There is a timeline created at one of the official HP sites that somehow combines what JKR says with, you know, a realistic approach to maths and numbers to give a pretty good timeline of who was born when, and therefore who was at school with whom, etc.

    i've been waffling about the whole death-eaters-knew-about-horcruxes subplot. clearly malfoy and bellatrix were each given one, and they each knew that it was super-important and that their lives probably depended on the safeguarding of said objects, but I'm not at all convinced that Lucius would have put a bit of tom riddle's soul into hogwarts when his son was there. i'm of the school who believes that lucius (and by extension narcissa) was relieved when harry defeated voldie as a baby. he'd had too much of a taste of bowing and scraping. lucius was content to wreak evil on a small scale and still keep a reputable facade, etc. then he had no choice when voldie came back and called the death eaters home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might be of the same camp! I feel like Lucius is all about the power, and even though he's mudblood this, half-breed that, it's more the fact that it gives him a position of superiority than real bias. And even though he liked the power and superiority he got as a death eater and taking part in (relatively) harmless events like the World Cup, he wasn't as gung ho as say Bellatrix was.

      Also, I don't think either Bellatrix or Lucius knew they had horcruxes. I think they knew it was important to V, and that was about it.

      Delete
    2. Yes, this makes sense. It's still crazy to me that Lucius would send this thing that was important to V out of his sight.

      Delete
    3. I'm in this camp also. Pitch more tents!

      Knowing about the horcruxes and knowing where all of them WERE are two different things. If I were V-mort I wouldn't want even all my alleged followers knowing where I'd hidden my secret life bits.

      Delete
  4. So when I got to your bit about being a goldfish I snorted and almost spit out the goldfish I was eating (they of the cheesy, not the swimmy variety).

    I like to imagine that Hagrid traveled the world in between his expulsion and his gamekeeper-ing, gazing at dragons and chasing skrewts. Or else he interned as gamekeeper until the previous one died.

    Isn't Hagrid like 65 years old at least? He was expelled at the age of 13, 50 years ago from Harry's second year. OMG MATH. I see JKR's dilemma now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, cheesy goldfish.

      I'm with you on Hagrid's age. I figure giant's have different life spans than we do, which is why he's still so sprightly. Oh man, I HOPE he travelled the world! Good old Hagrid; he'd have tried to smuggle all SORTS of illegal creatures back into England.

      Delete
    2. I went to HP Lexicon, and apparently Hagrid was born in 1928, which would make him about 67 (This book is set in 1995 right?). It'd also mean that he'd been expelled from Hogwarts for 20 years when Mrs Weasley arrives for her first year (she's born in 1950 apparently)and if he isn't groundskeeper by 33 I can't imagine why he would bother going back - surely he would have found work elsewhere before then?

      Delete
  5. I feel like the Death Eaters mayyyybe know that he Horcruxes, but not how many or what they are. I DO think that Lucius knew that the diary was gonna cause some bad mamajama, cause if he wanted to just get rid of it he could have done it a million other ways than sneak it to a child going to Hogwarts. ALSO Dobby knew that the CoS was going to be opened that year and that Harry would be in danger, so he must have known something about Lucius's plans.

    On to all the sads in book 5!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's right, he knew it would open the Chamber. So he must have known it could be used to possess whoever writes in the diary. Maybe Lucius just figured there'd be no way a group of rag tag kids could harm such a powerful dark object. WRONG AGAIN, MALFOY.

      Delete
  6. I think that Bad Ass Dumbledore was triumphant for exactly the reason you mention; he loves being right. I do remember that it was at this VERY POINT when I first read the books that my alarm bells about Dumbledore went off; I think it's a good insight into his character but it's also a challenging choice of words. I was iffy on his motives (NOT his loyalty) from there on out, and i think it's because JK didn't necessarily intend to plant that doubt, so she didn't "need" to resolve it in any way.

    Lord, JK... your math is terrible. Obviously I could not have written something this imaginative, and part of that is because I get bogged down in tiny details to the point of inability to function. But IF I were to create a sweeping multi-generational storyline, I'd have PLOTTED IT OUT FIRST. Argh.

    OH and further: Bill says he hasn't been to Hogwarts in three years, which I suppose could support the whole "Charlie is 2 years older than the twins" statement because why else would he go there? But then Charlie would have been at Hogwarts when HRH are there in year 1, AND WE WOULD HAVE MET THEM BOTH. /headshake

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mrs. Weasley is definitely older than Lupin who are definitely older than Bill and Charlie, and I don't think any of them necessarily overlapped (except Bill and Charlie, obviously). And I'm pretty sure that Hagrid is older than all of them and became gamekeeper before any of them showed up at Hogwarts, AKA continuity error! I don't think Rowling figured this all out and really, who hard would it have been to make a list of birthdays to keep this all straight?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man...all this mathy stuff is too much for me, a first-time reader of the Potter. I'll just be over here eating macaroni and cheese while you all puzzle it out.

    But I ALSO was concerned about Dumbledore's ill-timed look of triumph. It really was a bad time to look triumphant.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, internets.