Friday, 22 March 2013

HP Friday: "Good Hufflepuff, she took the rest."

It's been so LONG, you guys! Thankfully, it is once again Harry Potter Friday, that most magical of days. Thanks to Reading Rambo for being such an excellent host.

Thumbs up for you.

And thus, the fun times are over. We're reading chapters 1-12 of Order of the Phoenix. First of all, how important is Fawkes? The most important.

#fabulous

I love how dedicated he and Dumbledore are to each other. 

On page 108 Harry has made it to the Order's headquarters and is helping clean up the place, when JK demonstrates her awesomeness once again in listing the dark and suspicious objects in a cabinet: a many-legged pair of tweezers, a coma-inducing music box, a heavy locket that none of them could open oh man guys maybe we should remember this for later, a number of ancient seals, and on, as you know. The locket has to be the least interesting thing in that cabinet. Go, Rowling. (But, shouldn't it have made Harry's spidey senses go berserk? Maybe he didn't notice because he was already on edge.)

Kreacher is such a sad, sad character. Sirius treats him horribly, but you can see where that behaviour's coming from. Kreacher doesn't realize he's saying terrible things to Sirius, but Sirius still has to hear those terrible things. Also, "I [...] caught him snogging a pair of my father's old trousers last week." ...

WHAT?

I'd forgotten, as I do, that Bellatrix and Narcissa are sisters. Some vastly different colouring, there. Could it be a "the seed is strong" situation? IfyouknowwhatImean?

And then finally, finally, we meet Luna.


I love her. I know it's not a revolutionary statement, but seriously.


She is just the best. I kept putting her in Hufflepuff in my head because she's so profoundly decent, but no, Ravenclaw, because of smartness.

"Wit beyond measure
is man's greatest treasure."

Harry and Ron's new Divination textbook is written by Inigo Imago. I can imagine what he'd say of Trelawney's dream interpretations.


And now I'll leave you with my question for the week: our golden trio is in their fifth year, in which they must complete their OWL examinations. Fred and George say on page 205 that they were considering not coming back for their seventh year, because what do they need with NEWTs. And then in Potions, Snape says to his fifth year class that next year he'll be accepting some of their ranks into his NEWT Potion class. So, sixth year = NEWT level classes. So. What now? Is year six NEWT preparation and then year seven NEWT exams? I've said "newt" too much. It's lost all meaning. Newtnewtnewt.

18 comments:

  1. Kreacher sucks. I know Sirius isn't nice to him but he's not the only one, and also did I mention he sucks and is a jackass? Whether he is this way cos he's a slave to the Black house or whatever is another debate.

    So the NEWT thing, maybe 6th year you start preparing for your 7th year NEWTs? That's what I'm thinking, but then again I'm apparently easily confused by education systems that aren't the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freaking Kreacher. Don't say horrible things if I'm not allowed to be mad at you!

      A LOT of people talked about the NEWT and OWL thing in their posts, so it was very helpful. And yes, it looks like you're right.

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad we're all focused on the important things in this series. We can now add wizarding tests to all our questions about plumbing and kitchenware sales.

      Delete
  2. I think you do two years of NEWT class and then have your NEWT exam at the end of seventh year. That's what I think is up. Also Snape is an asshole. That isn't apropos of anything, I just feel incomplete if I haven't said it in a little while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, poor Snape. I mean, yes, how he treats Neville is inexplicable and terrible, but on the other hand, Alan Rickman.

      Delete
    2. ALAN RICKMAN. That is correct.

      Also, your gifs are (as per usual) extremely accurate and appropriate. And hilarious. You are like a gifmaster.

      Also, Thumbs and Ammo.

      Delete
  3. OK, so NEWTs are like A Levels, and yeah, we do those over a two year period. We're fucking hardcore students man. But you learn stuff for them in year 6&7 (or, like, 12 and 13. As we would say.)

    I am DYING over that Super Sirius GIF. DYING.

    And this: "I [...] caught him snogging a pair of my father's old trousers last week." Totally made me giggle. BOTH times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See that's great. And you explained it right in your post, too, because you knew many of us would be confused. International Muggle Cooperation FTW. Those wizards could really learn from our little group.

      Super Sirius! I would get that tattooed on my FACE I love that thing so much. Well, not my face, and not tattooed. But I do like it.

      Delete
    2. I think that I maybe WOULD actually get that tattooed...somewhere discreet.

      Delete
  4. So I'm actually behind on the reading BUT ONLY BY A COUPLE CHAPTERS but this means I have not met Luna yet. Or...re-met her. Whatever. But I am sooooooooo excited. Not as excited as I am for her Quidditch commentary, but still excited.

    Ugh this book. It is the greatest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lunaaaaaa! There are not nearly enough Luna GIFs on Tumblr.

      Delete
  5. That super Sirius pic is amazing. Thank god for people with too much spare time and good senses of humour!

    Oh Kreacher. I don't know how to feel about him. He's awful but he also spent 10 years listening to the Mrs Black portrait. If that doesn't drive you mad mothing will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's horrible, with Kreacher. I want to be furious with him for his terrible rudeness, but, you know, he's crazy. So I can't be. It's very inconsiderate of him.

      Delete
    2. Damn you JKR, why do you make it so hard to either like or dislike a character outright?! (Umbridge not included. Obviously).

      Delete
  6. I was subconsciously Hufflepuffing Luna too. But I guess it's ONLY fair that Ravenclaw get at least one all-star, since the Hufflepuffs already have one OH WAIT HE DIED.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh snap, he dead. It's true. And we can't love Cho, because Harry should be with Ginny although that's not Cho's fault. Poor Cho.

      Delete
  7. HEHEHE Super Sirius! Best superhero ever. And the Princess Bride GIF! Well played :-)

    Kreacher suuuuccckkks and I keep hoping someone accidentally pushes him into a fire or something. Which obviously doesn't occur, but UGH he's an asshole and a bad situation waiting to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How has no one commented on your Game of Thrones reference so far??? Top notch.

    I can't hate Kreacher because he's a product of how he was raised (not sure if "raised" is the right word for being a house-elf but...) I mean, it's not like he gets out much.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, internets.