Friday, 8 February 2013

HP Friday: RIP, Flobberworms


We did it, you guys. We made it to Friday. I commend us. As a reward, let's talk about Harry Potter on the internet. In this installment of Reading Rambo's Readalong, we're looking at chapters 1 through 11 of Prisoner of Azkaban, otherwise known as the BEST (at the very least, so far) of the books.

Celebratory/obligatory Dumblin' gif.

This far in, I understand why it was my favourite early on. First, and perhaps most importantly, the intro-Dursley chapters are kept to a minimum. And any impatience I experienced during them was immediately forgotten with the appearance of a large dog on Magnolia Crescent


Suspicious.

and the knight bus with its fabulous entrance


Almost as good as this guy's.

How great is Lupin? I was very excited to have, instead of actor-Lupin, brain-Lupin appear in my mind's eye. The Lupin I think I originally pictured when reading the book. This has never happened to me before. It's a momentous occasion.

Hagrid, though I love his face, was not made for teaching. Every class has a Malfoy equivalent, and you just can't let them derail you. This is why I could never be a teacher. Also "Er - how are the Flobberworms?" "Dead," said Hagrid gloomily. "Too much lettuce." 


Sad lulz.

Hermione is a freaking badass. Firstly, she is infinitely better at keeping a secret (that should be kept) than Harry is. 



Secondly, she told McGonagall about the Firebolt, knowing Ron and Harry would be horrible about it. Rock on, Hermione. I'm glad that (don't read this, Brie)             she's right. Right like a damn fox.





(S'ok to start reading again.)

Why is Lupin being so secretive about his relationship with Harry's parents? Does he give a reason for this later? Or is it just so we can have this moment on pg 140:
"When they get near me - " Harry stared at Lupin's desk, his throat tight, "I can hear Voldemort murdering my mum."
Lupin made a sudden motion with his arm as though he had made to grip Harry's shoulder, but thought better of it.

I cannot even. Let's all move to Diagon Alley and live off sundaes.

Until next week,



21 comments:

  1. This gifs are AMAZING and I love them all. Especially Metatron.

    Yeah I love Hagrid and all but maaaaaybe not the best choice for a teacher. I'd say cos he has no education qualifications but that doesn't seem like a prerequisite to work at Hogwarts anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hogwarts. Magic isn't an excuse for everything, you know.

      Metatron 4 lyf

      Delete
  2. I really really really love Lupin. I truly do. I'm thinking that not knowing about Lupin and Harry's dad is just a part of the whole giant 'let's not reveal anything about anything in this whole first half' so that we're all ready for the big reveals later.

    I also LOVE that Hermione told McGonagall. Since it's the SANE thing to do and everything. Stupid boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think you're right about them saving up the revelations. Doesn't matter if the first part makes sense as long as the second is punchy. I am OK with this.

      Delete
  3. HAAA that owl picture. I laughed at my desk and that is FROWNED UPON HERE because we are a serious investment bank with serious business to do, so good job!

    Hermione IS good at keeping secrets, isn't she? Man, I like her better and better. Also my hair was very big today and I looked in the mirror and thought, "it must be full of secrets."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO LAUGHTER.

      I love that quote. It works in any situation.

      Delete
  4. Because it's so much more difficult to stand up to your friends than your enemies. Hermione should totally have earned points for the broom thing. And it's not like she didn't make her feeling clear to Ron and Harry about that broom and then sneaked behind the boys' back to tell on them. Up front. That's our girl.

    Hermione: should be everybody's secret keeper.

    I love Lupin. Perhaps in unhealthy ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TOO RIGHT about Hermione expressing herself right to the boys in the first place. Good point. She is great.

      Delete
  5. "RIP, Flobberworms" Ahahahahaha Oh, I laughed.

    The FUNNIEST thing about the dead flobberworms is that earlier Harry and Ron were just stuffing them with lettuce. Which was the cause of their death. So they are flobberworm murderers.

    FUNNY STUFF.

    (I've had too much sugar and I apologize. also this post was hilarious)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, YOU are hilarious. You and your sugar-induced frivolity.

      Woe, Flobberworms. You were not long for this world.

      Delete
  6. I think it's a little lame that Hermione doesn't tell the boys about the time-turner. I know she isn't supposed to, but if Harry didn't tell her and Ron things that should have been kept quiet they'd know nothing and spend all their days playing wizard chess while Ernie and Justin and Hannah* make their way through the teacher's maze of spells and save Ginny from Riddle.

    Yay for seeing book Lupin not film Lupin! I think my mind-visual falls somewhere in between the two. I don't quite see them as I did pre-films but I also doesn't see them exactly as they are in the film. Except Snape, because that was a brilliant bit of casting right there.

    *Because in this reality, without the input of Hermione and Ron Harry just gives up and doesn't bother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get it that it's a little lame that she doesn't tell them, but I still love it. She's a stickler for the rules, this one. I sympathize.

      Ah, film vs mind-visuals. They do sort of merge, don't they? Like, for example, brain-Harry has GREEN FREAKING EYES, CASTING DIRECTOR or at least costume design person! C'mon, coloured contacts! Is that too much to ask? I do not think so.

      Delete
    2. I was so angry about the eye thing. I'm still a little annoyed to be honest. There are few enough close ups in the film that it's ok (I guess) that they didn't do contacts/post-production touch ups, but the cover of the flippin' movie had his big 11 year old head with these intense baby blues peering out. COME ON GUYS, YOU KEEP REPEATING IT IN THE MOVIE, SO GET A PEN AND AT LEAST COLOUR THEM IN.

      Delete
  7. That dog gif right there is what gifs were made for. 'I CANNOT EXPRESS MY FEELS, let this moving image do so for me.'

    Also, that owl! So suspicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I feel like wrapping myself in a blanket and curling up in a small space. But, like, as if I were a dog. See, if we just spelled it out, it'd be ridiculous.

      Delete
  8. You are the best - thanks for that heads-up! :) Amazing gifs. Love the Gosling one (Crazy Stupid Love, right?) And that dog one! I've been saving that one forever - whenever I see it I can't stop watching it lol.

    Right, we're here for the book! Ummm...I love Lupin. That moment he had with Harry - awwww. I hope he remains "good" and doesn't end up being evil. Poor Hagrid - I was really hoping he would excel at teaching :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is from Crazy Stupid Love! I had been saving the dog one forever too, haha. I love that one. Applicable to so many parts of this series, too.

      Lupiiiiiiin!

      Delete
  9. It's so sad to see Hagrid get all discouraged after one lesson, all because of stupid Malfoy and his stupid face. But Hagrid is extremely sensitive, even though he's ginormous.

    I love Hermione, but I still think it was jerky of her to go to McGonagall. Even if she was kind of right.

    I was kind of wondering why Lupin doesn't really divulge his relationship to Harry's parents too. And also, doesn't Harry EVER really look at that book of photos??? He should be able to recognize at least one of his parents' friends, even if they have aged a few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your "all because of stupid Malfoy and his stupid face" comment to my husband because, man, you guys are my people. That is exactly something I would say. THIS READALONG GROUP IS THE BEST.

      It's tough, with Hermione. I think she had a really good reason, though, and the boys weren't heeding her!

      HA! Does Harry ever look at that book of photos. Least observant wizard of all time.

      Delete
  10. Brain Lupin is SO MUCH BETTER than actor Lupin. In the movie he's all grumpy and whatnot, which just isn't right.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, internets.