Thursday, 21 February 2013

HP Friday: Krumtrulescent


Welcome back to Harry Potter Friday, now featuring Activist Hermione. Thank you, Reading Rambo, for bringing us all together to spoil the crap out of these books. This week, we're talking about chapters 1-13 of Goblet of Fire.

How's THAT for an opening!


This was the first Harry Potter book that I had to wait for - the first three were already out when I started. So when GoF hit the scene, I was pumped to the proverbial max about its sheer girth and its Dursley-free chapter one. I'm still pumped, this time around, and for the first time in this readalong, I read all of this week's chapters on Saturday. And, probably because of that, I had my first Voldemort nightmare in years. IT WAS AWESOME.

To the bullet points:

- The dream in the first chapter is a little tricky. Is Harry experiencing it through Frank's eyes? Or are we getting an omniscient narrator telling us what's happening, while Harry sees it through Nagini's eyes?

- After his dream, Harry spells out his need for a parent who can understand the world he's living in. It made me think that Hermione must go through this too: her parents are wonderful, but there's so much that they can't understand.

-Kruuuuuuum! I love everything about the chapters around the Quidditch world cup.


-This book was almost too scary for me when it came out. Even in this first section we see some creepy stuff. Voldemort killing Frank and talking about killing that witch. Death Eaters tormenting Muggles.

It's getting real.

- Durmstrang doesn't admit Muggle-borns! I'd forgotten that detail. Sketchy.

- That the Sorting Hat belonged to Gryffindor explains his slightly negative choice of words when singing about Slytherin ("power-hungry," for eg).

- I love that Hermione is so outraged by the whole House Elf situation. Looking forward to seeing that develop. 


That's all I got, kumquats. Friday forth.

19 comments:

  1. I think that dream sequence was a little confusing on purpose, cause isn't that how dreams usually are? First you're watching something happen, then you're someone else, and the more you think about it the more weird it gets.

    Harry talking about wanting a parent who understands what he's going through reminded me of the discussions we were all having last week about how Sirius is awesome for Harry because he cares about him SO much. Yay for Sirius & Harry.

    You're GIFs are hilarious this week. Well done :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, that's supposed to be "YOUR" gifs. My brain isn't awake yet.

      Delete
    2. Well, thank you! *tips gif-hat*

      Fair point - dreams don't make sense because DREAMS. But it's like, is Harry a bit of a soothsayer, future-seer guy then? Because later, Harry's vision is limited to Voldemort himself or extensions of him like Nagini. But maybe it is here too and we just don't see it because the narrative style switches.

      Yay for Sirius and Harry!

      Delete
  2. Oh my god, that little Harry GIF is the most adorable EVER.

    I hadn't really thought about the dream, and I'm really not sure what the answer is. I'm sure the Voldemort reveal at the end is a shock to Harry, so he can't have seen Voldey (that rules out Nagini), but maybe he was seeing through Voldey's eyes like he does in the next book? And in that case the early Frank stuff was just omniscient narrator stuff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Sarah commented as I was publishing my answer and I like the dreams are dreamy explanation.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I don't know! Because you're right - I think the shock of seeing Voldemort is what startles Harry awake.

      Delete
    3. Ah, yes you're right, and he struggles to remember what V looked like but couldn't.

      -|(..)|-

      (that's meant to be me shrugging my shoulders btw)

      Delete
  3. I never thought of how much Hermione must struggle with having the wizard world explained to her -- maybe that's why she's read every book about the history of Hogwarts and the Wizarding World ever published? And why she has such an issue with house elves, because they are such a new concept to her and don't fit into her muggle view of how the world should work... SO MANY THINKS TO HAVE. Must go find coffee first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is absolutely why she reads all the books of ever.

      I'm surprised she hadn't read about House Elves! I guess it's just taken as the way it's always been in the wizarding world, so no one's really thought to mention it. Crazy, though. You'd really they'd mention House Elves in Hogwarts: A History.

      Delete
    2. House elves are such a non-entity to most wizards that they probably never even get a footnote in Hogwarts: A History.

      :(

      Delete
  4. Oh Voldemort nightmares. I have regular Voldemort dreams maybe like twice a year every year? But they are not usually nightmares. It's usually like, Oh Voldemort is cooking up some nefarious doings in the house down the street, think we should go check that out?, and I'm always like, Yeah, totally, we can handle that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Voldemort, always cooking up nefarious doings.

      Delete
  5. Long live SPEW.

    So Durmstrang doesn't admit Muggle-born wizards. So WHERE DO THEY GO. Are they even told they're wizards? I DEMAND ANSWERS.

    I am 98% positive there're other wizard schools. I'll bet the answer is on the HP Lexicon or something and I'm just too lazy to find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, MAN, can you imagine if they weren't even told they're wizards?!?! That is just. I can't. I really think there are more schools, and these three are just the most well known or most prestigious in Europe.

      Delete
    2. You'd think Hogwarts would extend them the invite but... there don't seem to be many non-British/Irish people around at Hogwarts. Maybe they end up at Beauxbatons?

      Or maybe the muggle-borns in other countries form communes and live off the land, beholden to no magical curriculum.

      Delete
  6. I'm also confused about that dream chapter. I like seeing something from not Harry's PoV but not sure how I feel about this one.

    Shit DOES get real in this one. I always forget about Frank's death when trying to figure out the final body count. I was so surprised he was actually killed my first read through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it, it just confuses me.

      SO REAL. Poor Frank. That whole scene is such a good way to get the reader to really realize how Evil Voldemort is. All we've heard is history, so far, and now we see this innocent old guy snuffed out just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Watch out, readers. This guy's bad news.

      Delete
  7. I would also like to applaud your gifs. Cause yaaaay NEW GIRL! (etc)

    This is SO true about Hermione and her parents. But no one ever cares about Hermione and her needs :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's because Durmstrang (and also Beauxbatons) are DIFFERENT AND WRONG. Only Hogwarts is good only and always. ENGLAND FOREVER.

    Seriously, tho, the next section gets kiiiiiiind of Othery re: the other schools. I forget if J Ro is less douchey about it by the end.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, internets.