Saturday, 5 January 2013

Mini-Readathon: Let's get it started


Greetings, my little potstickers! Happy 2013 to you! After a bit of a blogging break due to Christmas and travelling and the post Christmas-travelling cold, I can think of no better way to ring in the new blogging year than with a mini-mother-effing-readathon.


Ahem. I'm excited. 

This mini-readathon is brought to you by Miss Tika over at Reading the Bricks with cheers and fist pumps from the GIF Admiration Society. We'll be reading for 8 hours, from 8 am PST to 4 pm PST, with a mid-thon check in post. You wanna see what books I'll be reading? Of COURSE you do!


That's Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by JK Rowling: mini in that it's made for children and features goblins (thanks Tika),

Carry the One by Carol Anshaw: mini in that one is a small number, there are kids in it, and also I'm already reading it so I wanted to include it,

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen: mini in that it's YA and so for mini people (you heard me, teens), and readathons of any sort require YA,

and a collection of Muriel Spark novellas including The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, The Girls of Slender Means, The Driver's Seat (aka the reason I took this book out. I have heard Positive Things), and The Only Problem: all mini because they are novellas.

Will this be enough? Is it too much? I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm a slow reader. Also, I'll be DAMNED if I'm going to rush through Harry Potter. Also snacks. So we'll see! I have A Clash of Kings in reserve (mini because of Tyr- ... er ... Bran) in case I run out.

First on the agenda, Harry Potter and a mini breakfast! Well, a regular sized breakfast made up of mini things:

Mini sausage rolls and a mandarin (mini) orange

Regular size cup of coffee because, let's be real. But mini-bottle of Baileys in it. Well, beside it. Ain't no way I'm messing with a perfect cup of Oso Negro.

Readathon onward, my darling butterbeers!

I'm off to regress into childhood.

17 comments:

  1. Hooray for minithon-ing.

    Also this might be stupid but what are sausage rolls? I guess I could just go ask Google

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ARE YOU KIDDING ME THAT YOU DON'T HAVE SAUSAGE ROLLS IN AMERICA?! Or is this just you? I AM FREAKING OUT!

      Basically they're just like sausagemeat in pastry? And they're amazing? Even the vegetarian kind which are the only ones I eat now, obvs.

      Delete
    2. All these things we learn in a readathon! These ones were more pastry than sausage but still super tasty.

      Delete
    3. We have pigs in a blanket which is pretty much a hot dog in a pastry? Is that it?

      DO YOU HAVE TAYLOR HAM AND CHEESE SANDWICHES? *indignation over lack of meat and bread products*

      Delete
    4. Kind of that only the sausagemeat is like nicer than hot dogs? But I suspect they are similar. Ish.

      I don't know what Taylor ham and cheese sandwiches are, but like... We have ham and cheese sandwiches! Obviously, we're not barbarians!

      Delete
    5. I'm being a pain with the taylor ham & cheese, which are a thing in NJ and not much more of the US so most people really haven't had them. But now that I've started talking about it I super want one. (Pretty much a ham & cheese sandwich but I guess special ham? I don't really know but delicious.)

      Delete
  2. Ahem... REAL COMMENT

    Yay! Reading! Also I'm really glad you've got classics-of-some-description for I feared my Henry James would be the only one and I would be OSTRACISED. Or something. And now everyone is going to have classics, you just watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not gonna lie, if I have a classic, it's by accident. Is it Muriel Spark's stuff?

      Henry James! Good choice. Readathoooon!

      Delete
    2. It is! Books with those spines get put in the classics section of my library, so... yeah, you've got an accidental classic on your hands!

      Delete
    3. *cheers* It's getting all sophisticated up in this readathon.

      Delete
  3. That Game of Thrones picture made me LOL. For real.

    And I salute your mini-Baileys. HAPPY READATHONING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... Full disclosure, I might have put the Baileys back in the fridge, haha. Too creamy this early in the morning. But mini bottle! Woo! HAPPY READATHONING TO YOU!

      Delete
  4. Did you know Carry the One has a lesbian in her 20s named Alice and a chapter on her and Emma Goldman and the author's from Chicago? DID YOU KNOW THAT? Which is why my friend said I had to read it, buuut then I got bored partway through and stopped. But OTHER PEOPLE really like it, so it's probs great.

    Also Prime of Miss Jean Brodie + Girls of Slender Means. I like parts of both of those VERY MUCH indeed.

    Tika is the awesomest for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, I JUST started that chapter last night! I thought of you. And I thought about how I should probably look up who Emma Goldman was. You should read it, though. I'm enjoying it immensely. And it feels light despite the premise.

      I'm so excited to read all the things!

      Delete
    2. Anarchist, 1900s, ran around the country telling people they were free or some kind of ridiculousness like that. (but for reals, she hated capitalism because of what she saw it doing to the poor and she super-wanted to help people and was amazing)

      Delete
  5. That picture of coffee reminded me that I need coffee. And I forgive you for LYING about the Bailey's. Although I may never fully trust you again.

    *steals Bailey's from your fridge* *scurries away*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mini whisky drink from the next post is for reals.

      Delete

Talk to me, internets.