Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Carry the One - Carol Anshaw

This book's been getting a lot of love, and it's about to get suh'more. I was eager to read it after Books are my Boyfriends reviewed it, but it was lost a while in my nebulous, brain-stored TBR list. Now, finally, I've read it (and loved it) and can join the party. (But, as this party's already a bit crowded, this'll be a short one.)

The Story: A group of partiers leaves a wedding a little worse for drugs and experiences a devastating event. We revisit them in vignettes as the years go on, looking in on their lives, seeing how they've moved on and how they haven't. 

Carry the One is at once slow and feverish. It would feel like nothing much was happening, and then, oh, look at that, half the book is gone. 


Where the book is the pizza, you see.

I wound up really caring about the characters. Though some of them had some pretty rough traits, none were irredeemable. I understood why they were acting the way they were. And Anshaw's writing is fantastic: she's witty and tragic and unaffected.

If you haven't read it yet, make sure you're in the right reading mood before you jump in. It is not hilarious, and no fruit carts are overturned (how can I not find a gif of this?). I read it while and after reading It, and that was perfect. If you're not on a realistic, character-based reading kick, I'd suggest bookending this bad boy with dragons.

Always a good choice.

7 comments:

  1. Daaaamn, I ALWAYS want to read the things Books are my BFs has read. It's like, genetic or something.

    So this sounds good! I really like charactery stories where nothing much happens except peoples LIVES and all. And I also love Stephen King. My brain is interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? She's very convincing. Definitely do check it out - it is fantastic.

      Delete
  2. I just...couldn't get into this. Despite that Alice/lesbian/Emma Goldman thing. Nope. Narcissism could not see me through. Because characters I didn't care about + slow-moving + no attention span.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand. If I read it at a different time I wouldn't have been able to get into it, because that is some quiet action in this book. (But oh man, as it is, I loved it's face off.)

      Delete
  3. I may need to check this one out, though I'm a bit disappointed not a single fruit cart is overturned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the only fault I could find with this book.

      Delete
  4. Huh, how have I not heard of this book before? Sounds pretty good - I like character driven books when done well.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, internets.