Friday, 14 December 2012

On Nick Hornby and how he is awesome.

Nick Hornby is awesome.

So I just finished Gone Girl and Let's Pretend This Never Happened and those are some hard acts to follow. After them, I couldn't bear to read anything that wasn't Harry Potter because I am SO EXCITED FOR READING RAMBO'S READALONG HOLY CRAP HAVE YOU SIGNED UP YET. Fortunately, I eventually stopped vibrating with excitement enough to remember I had recently purchased Juliet, Naked

I'm halfway through, and man, it's great. It's light and funny and I like the characters and the focus on music and messed up relationships. It's Hornby: Classic.

My first first dance with Hornby  like many of us, I'd imagine  came with High Fidelity, and it was love at first top 5 list. Lists! Music! Britishness! 

My most gleeful of jams.

Then About a Boy happened and with it came tears and late-bloomed Nirvana enthusiasm. Slam was fine and A Long Way Down was freaking genius (I feel like Hornby must have written it on a bet. Make suicide funny?


It will be my greatest triumph to date.)

The only Hornby I haven't liked, How to be Good, deserves a reread, because it was my encounter with a protagonist that I actively wanted to slap. I couldn't handle it when I first read it, and I think my reaction might have been greater than what I was reacting to.

So, Hornby's no Harry, but he'll do. FOR NOW.

11 comments:

  1. I do like Hornby very much but for some reason i continue to pass him by at book stores and libraries- even though i'm pretty much guaranteed a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NAME TWINS! ...


      Grab yourself a Hornby! It's good times. I'd definitely recommend A Long Way Down if you haven't read it.

      Delete
    2. I read A Long Way Down a year or so ago, and I've read Juliet, Naked and High Fidelity but that's all so far. Next best?

      Delete
    3. Also, yes!! Kayleigh's of the world unite!

      Delete
    4. Next best is definitely About a Boy. Then Slam is alright, but I don't have fond memories of How to be Good. I haven't read any of his nonfiction - will have to give it a try.

      Delete
  2. Oh man, I LOVE HIgh Fidelity (and the film is SO awesome too!) and I read About A Boy at the very height of my Nirvana OBSESSION so it was perfect (and the reason I don't like THAT film is because of the lack of that. Also Hugh Grant). But I feel like I might have read How to be Good, or some of it, or something, and then kind of stopped reading Hornby? Which is pretty weird I have to admit! You've got me thinking, now, nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo, About a Boy when already Nirvana obsessed. You were primed for it. I missed that in the movie, too, but the High Fidelity movie was made of win, as you say.

      Glad you're thinking about Hornby! Good holiday reading, when you can't really concentrate on a book because SO MUCH STUFF HAPPENING ALL THE TIME.

      Delete
  3. I need more Hornby cos so far I've only read High Fidelity but it is the best. I had How To Be Good on my TBR list but perhaps I should go for About a Boy instead.

    The HP challenge is going to be AMAZING

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'd recommend About a Boy or A Long Way Down next. I can't on good faith recommend How to be Good, because it made me so stabby. Even if it was an unwarranted stabby feeling.

      HP Readaloooong! I've been gazing longingly at my books for MONTHS now.

      Delete
  4. Nerrrrp, you were right the first time. HOW TO BE GOOD is not, contrary to titular expectations, good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How happy I am that you're on the internet. No rereads for you, How to be Good.

      Delete

Talk to me, internets.