Wednesday, 5 December 2012

Let's Pretend This Never Happened - Jenny Lawson

I will catch up with you yet, internet favourites of 2012.

This has to be one of the books that encouraged the most anxiety among book bloggers (well, my type of book bloggers) this year. Written by the ever hilarious and eternally popular Bloggess, there's the feeling that, if you don't like this book, you'll be kicked out of the tribe. And we all loooooove this tribe. As someone who recently graduated from lurker to sometimes blogger, I was feeling that anxiety. What if I didn't think this was funny? What if I proved myself an outsider to this glorious club of outsiders? WHAT THE HELL THEN?!


This caps lock key is not big enough for my feels.

But never fear, fellow tribe members who've yet to read this. If you like the Bloggess' blog, you'll like this book. That's it. Her voice is there, her rambley, tangential narrative style is there. It's the Bloggess, y'all. It's all going to be OK. (Also, can we acknowledge how it's impossible not to say "y'all" after reading this book? It's impossible.) (Also also, you'd never be kicked out of this tribe for not liking this or any book. Because this is the best of tribes. With killer subtribes such as the epicly fabulous Cult of Wilkie. BUT I DIGRESS.)

Like her blog, Lawson's memoir is balanced between snorty, ugly-laughing hilarity, shockingly sad moments turned to uplifting "Depression Lies" defiance, and general WTFery. I haven't read ALL of her blog, but she goes into more detail about her childhood than she has in her posts since I've been reading (about a year and a half?). Like, for example, how her dad leaned a little Gaston in his style choices.


He used antlers in all of his DEHHHcoraaating, is what I'm saying.

Which explains her penchant for ethically taxidermied animals, like Hamlet von Schnitzel, who is featured on the cover of her book, and my personal favourite, Juanita Weasel, featured in this glorious piece of internet from the Bloggess' blog:



Posted nearly a year ago and I'm still laughing. Go to the original post because I'm only just stopping myself from reposting all the memes.

Anyway, the takeaway from this is read the book and the blog. Join us.

9 comments:

  1. Yaaay I'm glad you liked this one cos I want everyone to love this even though I know that's not a thing that will happen, but it's SO FUNNY.

    But yeah, even if you don't like the book, no one gets kicked out of the tribe for it is the best of tribes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEST SUBTRIBE

    Um, the Gaston thing is fricking genius gif-use. And I want you to know that I love you for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *blushes* *dances around* *loves you back for gif mentoring*

      Delete
    2. YES! Totally clapped at Gaston. AMAZING

      Delete
  3. Yes! This book was great! I'd really like to listen to it on audio now. One of my favorite stories was about when Jenny and her cousin found a playboy magazine at her Grandma's house and asked her what a "turn on" was. Still makes me laugh thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That was a great one. I loved the one near the beginning with Rambo the OCD raccoon. Ah geeze, that was a great book.

      Delete
  4. YAY you liked this, and also I have to agree- there is NO kicking out of the tribe! Never ever!

    If we're sharing favourite Bloggess anecdotes, mine is the chocolate laxative one. 'Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AH! Hahaha, chocolate laxative one. Just thinking of it made me lol at my desk. Freaking Jenny Lawson is the greatest. I love her face off.

      Delete

Talk to me, internets.