Wednesday, 28 November 2012

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

Alright, so, you know how a few weeks ago I was all ranty about not liking books where the characters are unlikeable? I'M A COMPLETE LIAR.

Turns out I like them just fine thankyouverymuch, if the author is Gillian Flynn. And, to be fair, the character(s) I'm thinking of did have bits that made me like them, if not bits that redeemed them, you know, morally. 

I've seen this book all over the place. From what I can see, it is one of the most hyped/successful novels of 2012. But in case you don't look at the same corners of the internet that I do, lemme tell you about this Girl that is Gone.

Newlyweds Amy and Nick Dunne move to Lonesome Tumble Weed, Missouri (south of Nowheresville) after losing their glamorous jobs in NYC. As one can imagine with this kind of change, their marriage has hit a bit of a rough patch, and then  dunne dunne duuuuuuuunne (GET IT?!) Amy goes missing. As the evidence stacks up, it all seems to point to her husband. This is a thriller/mystery that alternates between Nick's and Amy's perspective really effectively to create seat-squirming tension.

SOMEBODY TELL ME WHAT IS GOING ON

I loved this book.

I read it in about a minute and a half. There were twists that I feel like I maybe should have seen coming but I TOTALLY DIDN'T. My approach was to Guess All the Things, so even if I did land on something like the truth, I always changed my mind a paragraph later. And the ending, you guys. I can not even.

This face. This was the face.

It's a mystery, so there's not a lot I can talk about here, and that plus loving each sociopathic page makes for a short review. All I can say is I would highly suggest getting your crime-solving hands on this before they turn it into a movie starring whomever the 30-year-old version of Gwyneth Paltrow is.

Final piece of advice: do not skip to the end of the book to see how many pages there are or to fulfill your Harry Burns urges. You will ruin it.


DON'T DO IT.

10 comments:

  1. I was unsure if I should bother with this book, but with these gifs, HOW CAN I TURN IT DOWN??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, bother. Definitely bother. There were parts that were SO GOOD but I couldn't quote them because they'd ruin the whole thing. So read it so we can talk about how good those parts were.

      Delete
  2. OMG I AM DYING TO READ THIS BOOK.

    And your awesome review just reinforces it.

    Excellent GIFs, madam. Sometimes I think I should start watching Supernatural just because the show seems to produce the best facial expression GIFs.... Hm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT? So many Supernatural gifs. I suppose we should check out the source material of all this awesome. Wouldn't it be weird if the show sucked but the gifs were great? I'm not sure I could reconcile that.

      Delete
    2. I watched the pilot and was...not impressed. But maybe it improves a lot later. I mean, a decent number of really good shows have terrible pilots. #theoffice #parksandrec #30rockwasnttooimpressiveeither

      Delete
  3. Reading it. So reading it. Because one can ignore some books everyone reads, but then with some truly EVERYBODY READS IT. And I feel that should be honored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do iiiit. Then add your thoughts to the hive mind. It's how we do.

      Delete
  4. Wait, you LIKED this book?! That's such a weird reaction to it!

    Hahaha, no, really, I'm clearly going to have to read it because all the people who are right about things have said it's awesome, and who am I to argue with you correct people? No one, that's who. *nods*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooohmygoodness I'm so excited to read this as soon as I finish this one that isn't awesome at all. I bought this for FOUR DOLLARS. That's perhaps the best thing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK I FINALLY FINISHED THIS LAST NIGHT! I was choked I had to work so much this week, because I totally could have devoured this book in one or two sittings. You're right - it's a tough book to "review" - there's just too much you could give away. It was a page-turner right from the beginning and I love how my feelings and perceptions changed so much throughout the book. And the ending! Holy shit.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, internets.