Tuesday, 2 October 2012

Grapes of Wrath Readalong: Intro Grape

Readaloooooong!

Well, hello again, readalongkins! It's time for Laura's Grapes of Wrath readalong!


That's right: another month of gifs, exclamation points, and turning ALL the characters gay. It's what we do, and it's glorious. 

Now, intro post. I've never read any Steinbeck. Yet another factor that makes it unbelievable that I graduated with an English degree. I don't even actually have my copy of Grapes yet. DO NOT LET THIS CAST DOUBT ON MY RESOLVE. I am excited, and I will get the book before next Tuesday, certainly.

Seeing as I have no knowledge of Steinbeck from my formal education, I will turn to the informal font: Wikipedia. 

Serious face is serious.

Steinbeck won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1962, and Grapes won the Pulitzer. Other important and literary things. I am late for my first day back at work after getting part of my face (wisdom teeth) removed, and so I'll have to leave it at that. We shall converse further in the comments. 

READALONG FORTH!

15 comments:

  1. You're getting parts of your face taken out AND you're posting this intro. You are a real pro, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No meat on this post, but we will start SAYING some THINGS as the weeks go on.

      Delete
  2. I'm impressed that you're still posting even minus parts of your face! I'm only *about* to have a baby and I'm whinging like nothing else.. I also turned to Wikipedia for Steinbeck info - where would we be without it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I feel like a tool, haha. Any involvement of babies, even *about* babies, trumps all manner of teeth. Whinge away, madam! The world supports you in it.

      Wikipedia knows all the things.

      Delete
  3. Gahhh, how did the partial face removal go? I am SO sympathetic to wisdom teeth removal recoverers now, seriously! (That shit HURTS!)

    Important and literary things indeed. I am fully convinced of your commitment to this, even though you don't have the book yet. Yes. Definitely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MY FACE HURTS. It doesn't really, actually. Just sort of sore now. It went really well. General anesthetic is awesooooome, waking up all giggly and happy, despite lying in a pool of blood.

      I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY DIDN'T GIVE YOU ANY PAIN KILLERS! CAPS CANNOT EXPRESS MY INDIGNATION!

      Delete
  4. Ohhh I forgot we make all the characters gay. This'll be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will make it happen. We have a gift.

      Delete
    2. If ANYONE can turn manly man-farmers gay...WE can.

      Delete
  5. Ouuuuch, wisdom teeth removal. Hope that pain goes away.

    Yeah, I looked up Steinbeck on Wiki too. Not that it was exciting, basically just that the dude is a major classic author and won some literary stuff. Woot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woot, quite. But we're gonna feel so SMART, reading Steinbeck! I look forward to haughtily reading it in public.

      Delete
  6. Dude, I was impressed with myself for getting my post together after a weekend away, but you are WAY more impressive. Having things forcibly removed from your mouth is intense, and I commend you.

    Good luck picking out your copy of Grapes! I hope you get an extra pretty one, as befits the occasion of a readalong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, oh, thank you for your sympathy, and I'm sorry for so obviously and inelegantly soliciting it. TOTES WORTH IT.

      I'm picking it up tomorrow after work! Very excited.

      Delete
  7. I hope you feel much better and that you recover quickly from the wisdom tooth extraction! Nothing like popping vicodin to make it allll better, eh? ;) Haven't read any Steinbeck either, so I feel like I missed out on having a legit high school english experience! I can't join the readalong this time, but I look forward to your posts all the same :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Steinbeck is FANTASTIC so far! I'd definitely suggest picking it up sometime.

      Delete

Talk to me, internets.