Sunday, 2 September 2012

To declare my intentions

I have a love/hate relationship with scary things. I love them before I consume them and I hate them afterward, when they keep me up for months on end. That being said, it's time for R.I.P. VII!!! I never learn, is what I'm saying. This will be my first time participating, and I'm, you know, reasonably excited.

Reasonably excited dance.

ALL the creepy books! So far, after stealing Laura's reading list at Devouring Text (sorry, Laura), I've got Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist, The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters, and We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver (been meaning to read that one forEVER) all on hold at the library. And now also Raych's White is for Witching by Helen Oyeyemi is on hold too because I don't know what to read until you people tell me. Also, LOOK AT THE COVER:


Tell me you spooky ways, pale one. And after Octavius "Damn Your Eyes" Guy, I know I'm going to be watching Young Frankenstein again soon. But, but what else? I'd love to know what movies and books you guys like this time of year. I like the psychologically creepy stuff, and demon stuff tends to get in my head too much, so I'd probably avoid it unless it was really, really highly recommended. Guide me, oh wise ones.

13 comments:

  1. I have no problems with you stealing my list because DAMN I am excited to read alll of the books in my book pile! Let's see, I suggest all of those, obviously, and, you might know what I'm going to say right about now, but may I recommend anything by Stephen King? Literally anything at all, but IT is my favourite. And The Shining is, obviously, a classic. But they're all great.

    That's kind of the extent of my horror knowledge, I have to say. But that's helpful, right?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SUPER helpful - thanks! I've read The Shining, and King has written SO MUCH STUFF that I've been kind of stuck as to what to read next. IT it is! Gotta have some King this time of year.

      Delete
  2. Talk About Kevin will HARROW YOUR SOUL I AM JUST WARNING YOU. I never really recovered from that book.

    White is for Witching! We can both be either terrified or kind of annoyed together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard these things, and yet I go ahead. I may call you crying. Or, you know, facebook you.

      Yay, White is for Witching! I hope it's good, but terrible is fun too. Let's just hope it's not bland mush. That cover has a lot to live up to.

      Delete
  3. My feelings about scary things are precisely your feelings about scary things...we must be masochists (my phone really wanted to change that to "methodists," which made me do a giggle), but the fear is so deliciously terrible. That being said, I'm afraid to commit myself to any sort of organized dealy right now, so I may just sort of pirate a book here and there...definitely that White one because all books with "white" in the title will forever be the BEST.

    ALSO, I've read Kevin...and if you need a hug after you read it, you just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so methodist of us. Yeah, I'm with you on the organized stuff. I'm just planning on picking books that are more in the RIPy genre, maybe or maybe not posting on them in time, and reading some other reviews posted on the RIP review site. Basically just a more directed version of my general mucking about on the internet habit. I may not be doing this RIP thing right. But, yes! Read the White one! How can you go wrong?

      KEVIN! I'm so excited. I may need that hug later.

      Delete
    2. I'm kind of determined that when I read Kevin, I'm not going to have any kind of negative reaction. TAKE THAT EVERYONE ELSE.

      Delete
  4. I don't read scary things. But LOOK AT THAT COVER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOOK AT IT. So stylish! So pale! I hope the inside lives up to the outside.

      Not reading scary things is a wise choice. They's scary. Do you watch scary things?

      Delete
    2. NEIN. I cannot do either thing. Even the Scream movies are borderline for me, and apparently they are Not Scary.

      Delete
    3. It's just 'cause our imaginations are too good at what they do. We take moderately scary things and then morph them into soul invader things.

      Delete
  5. Love your reasonably excited dance, lol! I'm very glad that you are excited and that you decided to take the plunge into peril despite the regrets it often brings. :) Welcome to RIP VII. It is lovely to have you joining us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carl! It's a great event.

      Delete

Talk to me, internets.