Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Let the Right One In - John Ajvide Lindqvist

Let the Right One In is the story of Oskar, a lonely, bullied 12-year-old boy who lives in Stockholm. One day, Oskar notices a girl of about his age hanging around his apartment complex's playground. They become fast friends; and, as is evident from her perching on the jungle gym — RIGHT-SIDE-UP-BAT-LIKE  she is a vaaaampire. The story focuses on Oskar's struggles at school and his friendship with Eli, evolving as it does when he discovers that she is a vampire, with secondary plot lines and characters that are affected by Eli and Oskar.

This book alternates between calm, regular-type fiction and AAH, HOLY CRAP moments. 

A veritable roller coaster of emotions.

While there were scary scenes, it didn't crawl under my skin and keep me up nights. (Although creepy young girls are the creeeepiest, 

You remember these bitches.

which I did appreciate.)

There are fun, vampire-fact tidbits that I enjoyed. For example, Eli can put her mouth over Oskar's and transmit a memory to him, so that Oskar relives this memory as if he were Eli. These memories made for the eeriest parts of the book, for me. 

I enjoyed reading this, but I kept my socks on. (Because they were not knocked off, you see.) Still, a fun one for R.I.P., and refreshingly devoid of the emo-sexy vampire with his stupid hair and his ruining Cedric Diggory ... None of that, here.

12 comments:

  1. That baby gif lights up my life...as do your writings.

    I saw the original Swedish movie of this after everyone was losing their cookies over how supposedly magnificent it was. I was underwhelmed. It sounds like maybe the best parts of the movie are also the best parts of the book. But I still kinda want to read it. It must be the baby gif that swayed me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that gif, haha. I will use it whenever possible, which is most of the time.

      Dang, I figured the movie might be better because they can cut to the chase quicker. Not so, it sounds like. I do think this is worth a read - I did like it - but yeah, don't expect it to move vampiric mountains. I will likely end up watching the movie sometime, still.

      Delete
  2. I am so reading this soon, and I'm sorrrt of pleased that it probably won't keep me up nights, but maybe also a little bit pre-disappointed? Anyway... I'm still feeling it. Mostly.

    ALSO, I forgot the vampire is a kid. And also a girl. This puts a spanner in the works for my Skarsgard gifs planned post (ahhh, who am I kidding? There will still be Skarsgard gifs. Cause SWEDEN!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I wanted to be freaked out more. We're just so jaded. I haven't met a vampire who scared me, except for when Stoker's Dracula climbed down the side of his castle head first. That, that creeped me out.

      Skarsgard gifs are always appropriate - I'm sure you'll find many that fit!

      Delete
  3. THE SWEDISH MOVIE VERSION SUCKS ASS

    I watched it two Halloweens ago with some friends, and the whole time, I was basically screaming inside my head from boredom. Sweden: "Hey, know what'd be awesome? Lots of long silent shots of the snow." My brain: "AGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH."

    I have been trained to like explosions, and explosions I do like.

    The book seems better. Although most things would be.

    (p.s. I'm glad you updateeeeed)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of long silent shots of the snow? EFFING DEEP, DUDE.

      Explosions and kissy times are mandatory - otherwise, no dice.

      (Thank you! I am the laziest blogger. I'm excited for the Grapes readalong - I NEED STRUCTURE.)

      Delete
  4. "Eli can put her mouth over Oskar's" Wait, what? Like giving mouth to mouth? memories transmitted via drool.

    I don't think I'll be able to read this book cos I can't take that image seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha, it is a pretty ridiculous image - I don't blame you. Especially thinking of them standing stock still while the memory's playing, kinda thing.

      Delete
  5. LOL that baby.

    Let the Right One In was a crazy-creepy book. Good, but some parts were creepy and disturbing. At least it's pretty original and DEFIINTELY better than sparkly-teenage-vampire-romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It WAS creepy. I feel like it's losing its creepiness the further away I get from having read it, but you are definitely right. It was creepy. I mean *spoiler* FACE MELTED PEDOPHILE ZOMBIE VAMPIRE *end spoiler*. That is DEFINITELY original.

      Delete
  6. I really liked the book - it wasn't that horrifying like you said - but the wtf moments were intense. The Swedish version of the movie - I gotta say I much prefer the book, but I'm trying to find the American version of the movie to see if I like that one better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the Swedish movie is one to avoid! I'm glad I read the book though. Like you say, there were certainly some intense moments!

      Delete

Talk to me, internets.