Wednesday, 22 August 2012

The Moonstone 3: I have no idea what's going on.

Yada yada yada, this post is part of a readalong, yada yada yada, mega-spoilers ahead.


WHAT, FRANKLIN, WHAT?!?!

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT TO THINK.

So, OK. Franklin definitely took the diamond. Unless he was wearing one of those Mission Impossible masks. But! I just! Do we believe him, being all confused about it? Insisting he hasn't since hawked it?


Before that, though, Mr. Bruff. Like the lawyer in The Woman in White, he is the boringest (though I seem to recall liking the lawyer in WiW more. Oh, you know why? He had a scene with Mr. Fairlie. This is why). But he dumps some information and brings Mr. Murthwaite back to us, so I'll allow it. Bruff and Murthwaite bring us up to speed on what's going on with the three Indians. More of the Indians! They're so mysterious. I hope one of them gets a huge speech before the end of this.

Bruff's narrative also confirms that Godfrey is, indeed, a scoundrel. He let Rachel out of their engagement so easily because, after perusing Lady Verinder's will, he saw that the measly yearly fortune they'd be receiving as income wouldn't be nearly enough to cover his scoundrelling needs.

And so on and so forth. STUFF STARTS A'HAPPENING: Franklin pulls Rosanna's hidden tin case out of the quicksand, all the while worrying that he'll pull Rosanna's dead body out with it. (But oh, you guys, things aren't looking good for Rosanna.


Rosaaannaaa

I worry she might really be dead. This is like [**Harry Potter spoiler, if such a thing is possible**] Sirius in Order of the Phoenix all over again. [I'm STILL upset he didn't pull a Gandalf.][**End of there's no way that's a spoiler.**) So Franklin pulls out the box (no Rosanna) and finds his incriminating nightgown as well as a letter that he promptly FORGETS ABOUT and puts in his pocket and I'm like READ THE FREAKING LETTER, FRANKLIN. We would have never had this problem with Betteredge. But he does read the letter eventually (with a little help from said Betteredge). I love that Rosanna thinks it's just Rachel's corset and confidence that makes her so appealing to these silly upper-class men. Anyway, poor Rosanna gets a bit rambley, but she does make it clear that she's certain Franklin took the diamond.

And then Rachel makes it EXCEEDINGLY clear that Franklin took the diamond. Amidst a great deal of talk about Franklin's "manhood" and the "unmanning" of said "manhood" (traditional manliness is very important to Franklin,


as it is to these gents)

Rachel describes the whole diamond-snatching scene.

Even though we supposedly know who took it, we're still no closer to solving the mystery of the Moonstone. And we've only got one week left!! Next week, next week we'll have answers. And Ezra Jennings will feature prominently in them, or I'll eat my hat. And I don't even HAVE a hat. 

27 comments:

  1. BONUS POINTS FOR JOHANNA GIF

    Excellent. Omg AND Robin Hood Men in Tights. There's such stiff competition in the gif department this week.

    I have to admit, then Rosanna was all "Ugh, Rachel's so THIN," I was like "Ew, really?" Because way thin girls are not my jam. But she's probs like, just kind of thin and Rosanna's super-jealous. Which it feels like some sort of betrayal to say, but PROBS TRUE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Er *when, not "then."

      ALSO I had the Sirius moment with Dumbledore. Because Dumbledore = Gandalf. So I barely even cried over Dumbledore, 'cause it wasn't until the funeral at the very end that I was even like "ok, so...he might actually be dead."

      Delete
    2. Yes, I'm with Wilkie on admiring Marian's real lady figure.

      By the time Dumbledore died I was dead inside from hoping Sirius would come back.

      Delete
  2. Wilkie manages to tell us who took the diamond and we're still no closer to figuring this thing out. Slow clap, Wilkie, slow clap.

    HP spoiler if that's still a thing
    I am STILL angry with Rowling over Sirius not pulling a Gandalf thing cos what the hell??? That is the most open-ended death scene ever. I refused to believe it till I finished the last book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slow clap indeed! This is a large book. Pretty impressive that we still have NO IDEA what's going on this far in.

      Right?!? The sadness, it is with me still.

      Delete
    2. *raises hand as only girl in the room who doesn't like Sirius Black*

      Delete
    3. ...What? But he's the best, even when he's being a pain in the ass.
      (I spent the drive there and back from VA listening to the 5th book so I'm in full "I heart Sirius" mode this week.)

      Delete
    4. But, but, what? My love for Sirius is a continuation of my deep and abiding love for Strider. Is it because he and James totally bullied Snape? I can get behind you on that. I put up GIANT blinders, where that's concerned (but not for James. James can suck it).

      We may have to do a HP readalong.

      Delete
    5. Can, can we do that? Cos I'm picturing that being as ridiculous (and ridiculously awesome) as the Wilkie readalongs but in a whole different way.

      Delete
    6. I don't massively get the Sirius thing. He's ok. But not my favourite. Didn't even cry when he died.

      This is about the grumpiest comment ever!

      Delete
    7. It's like I don't even know you guys anymore. Whatever, more Sirius for Kayleigh and me.

      Delete
    8. Oh, I don't like Strider either. What's up with women and scruffy gentlemen?

      Delete
    9. I know. It's a problem. Moar scruffy gentlemen! And Laura!! You and Alice, I just. We definitely need to do a readalong because these feelings NEED TO BE EXAMINED.

      Delete
    10. I would like to chime in on this hot-button issue:

      While I don't DISlike Sirius, I'm more of a Remus gal myself. I go for the academic, tragic types.

      Delete
    11. Ooo, I liked Remus, too. I also liked Bellatrix, but in a different way. I LOVE THOSE BOOKS SO MUCH. Man, right in the childhood.

      Delete
    12. BELLATRIX IS WHERE IT'S AT

      And not in a stupid goth way, because she's INSANE, but she's also one of the best characters so BAM.

      Clearly we need to have this readalong.

      Delete
    13. Bellatrix is FANTASTIC. I love her crazy face.

      Delete
    14. Strider (this might be a Lord of the Rings spoiler? No? Not sure) is Aragorn's ranger name in Lord of the Rings, so we know him as that before he's revealed to be the long long king guy. He's the greatest, except he doesn't respect second breakfast. Which is a problem.

      Delete
  3. Um. I kind of liked Mr Bruff! I mean, not millions, but he was interesting enough, and ALSO in the Clack section he was really amusing. DEFENCE OF BRUFF!

    Ezra Jennings had SO much to do with this. I don't exactly know how, but he did!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He WAS good in the scene with Clack. Fair point. I think everyone around him is so shiny and he's so deadpan that I just skipped over him in my brain-space.

      All shall be revealed!

      Delete
  4. That cat gif is GENIUS.

    Are there actually people in the world nowadays who actively avoid Harry Potter spoilers? How do they leave their houses??

    I can't believe we only have one week left... Le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I don't think it's possible to not know every detail of HP, even if you haven't read the books or seen the movies. It's in our cultural blood, as it were.

      The sads! I would like to read all future books along with you ladies. Otherwise, really, what's the point.

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to see what Ezra's deal is. Dude is creepy.

    And oh Sirius :( Except I'm all sad about him, but kind of happy about Rosanna croaking... except for her little petty rant about how Rachel isn't hot shit. Cause that was awesome and hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Rosanna's letter was at once hilarious and saaaaad. And uncomfortable. I'm not sure spilling her guts like that was really what she wanted to/should have done. But hey, it's her life. OR DEATH *weeps*

      Delete
  6. Bruff is the classic straight man. He's there to remind us that not EVERYONE is ridiculous...only MOST everyone.

    I'm feeling kind of bad for the Indians at this point. They came a looooooong way just to be a part of this action, and we aren't even paying them any attention. They must be really bored mooning around town, pining for their shiny, shiny trinket. Wondering, "What's the Moonstone doing right now? Wherever it is, is it happy? Does it even MISS us?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, poor Indians. They've been through a lot. And you're completely right about Bruff. The book would be exhausting if everyone was a Clack and a Betteredge. Even Franklin is a little straight-laced compared to those two.

      Delete

Talk to me, internets.