Saturday, 23 June 2012

Feeling Sorry for Celia - Jaclyn Moriarty

YOU GUYS. This is the summeriest of summery balcony reading. You need to have this book in your faces. It was pouring in Victoria yesterday and I blame that entirely on more people not having this book in their face.

Feeling Sorry for Celia is YA, and the title is embarrassing (though not as paper bag worthy as Vampire Academy, which Alice at Reading Rambo recently wrote about and which I now have to read), but it is gooood YA. The whole thing is composed of letters between our main character Elizabeth (sometimes Liz) and her pen pal friend Christina (NOT TINA. NEVER TINA), and notes between Liz and her Mom, with a few other senders and recipients sprinkled in there. The pen pals are entirely charming and I love the Mom, who writes ALL HER NOTES IN CAPS AND THEREFORE I READ THEM ALL AS LIGHTHEARTED YELLING. This story telling format plus its YA style and hilarity make for a fast read, which is why I like it for summer.

It's pretty light, but it's got some TWISTS and TEENAGE EMOTIONS and SARCASM (that last one doesn't really need the caps, but I've committed and I'm not turning back now) that are highly entertaining. It's no life changing YA like How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff (which was rightly thrust upon me by Raych at Done Read. Her review of Celia is why I picked the book up, by the by. She quotes some excellent quotes because she is CLEVER AND REMEMBERS TO TAKE NOTE OF THESE THINGS), but it's completely worth the trip to the library. I believe in Elizabeth and Christina's friendship — it feels genuine. And I don't want to punch them or the writer in their stupid faces, like I do some teenage girl characters and their writers.

It's popcorn reading, but it's popcorn with real butter

Colbert gets it.

Though, if you've been avoiding YA because That Stuff is for Kids, I'd start with How I Live Now. It was my gateway book.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Excellent! It really is great. I was sad when it was over.

      Delete

Talk to me, internets.