Wednesday, 4 April 2012

The Woman in White Readalong: Week One

My first readalong!


This one is hosted by the fabulous Miss Alice over at Reading Rambo.

The Woman in White was one of the first Books (note the capital B. It was published in 1859-60 and therefore automatically Legit) I read after graduating with an English degree. Because it was my first walk in smartypants after university, I didn't really engage my brain. Because I didn't HAVE to! Luxury. So this time I'm looking forward to all the delving into character and analysis of symbolism that I'm SURE is going to explode from all of the great bloggers who are reading, as they say, along. Whether I contribute to said smartiness remains to be seen. (I quite like reading books for the font.)

As for Serious Business, I had already read The Moonstone for school, and I'm pretty sure I liked it. The only thing that comes to mind when I think of it is quicksand, so, take from that what you will. (English degrees, man. You read ALL the books! I'd read them and retain them enough for papers and exams and then promptly replace them with next semester's books and also Kevin Smith references. "Get me a ... Holy Bartender.") When I picked up The Woman in White I was convinced to my CORE that she, this white woman, was a ghosty. So convinced, that I kept trying to make it so, re-configuring scenes so that it would make sense, a la Sixth Sense. Not-death can be hard to accept.

Now! To get a-reading so my second post is actually on time.


Spin me a yarn, oh aerodynamic one.

8 comments:

  1. Look at you, having read things already. You might be one of the only people in this readalong who's read something else of Wilkie's (I believe we decided to call him that because Collins is too boring?).

    I DO NOT UNDERSTAND KEVIN SMITH REFERENCES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silent Bob! He is my favourite Bob. The Holy Bartender scene is in "Dogma" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n08DSqWMd5Q&feature=relmfu at 1:29). Warning, clip contains Jason Lee wielding a machine gun and a cheesy yet violently joke.

      Between a Wilkie and a Collins, always choose the Wilkie.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Macro! You teach me so much, Rachel. I know macro the button that when you press it is like you pressed many buttons, and I know macro the size, but I did not know macro the internet funny meme thing. I had to look it up on Urban Dictionary, because even Google didn't know. (Side note: I am nervous every time I click "search" on Urban Dictionary. What am I gonna know that I cannot unknow?!)

      Delete
  3. I love that picture!

    Isn't it amazing how much literary information slips out of an English student's brain as soon as she graduates? I swear I'm getting old before my time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true! We'll just have to reread all our course books.

      Delete
  4. Fellow English-degree-haver! I have retained my college habit of reading a book and promptly forgetting everything about it. That's why I started the blog, actually. Here's proof I read these books! Oh, you want to discuss something about the book that I didn't write down? Sorry. Can't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true! It's hard to break out of that way of reading - just kind of skimming. I guess it keeps the entertainment value in your personal library up, though. Every time you reread a book it's like reading it for the first time! "Holy crap, Snape kills Dumbledore?!"

      Delete

Talk to me, internets.